PDA

View Full Version : Confused About What to Feed Livestock

steve888
12/02/2011, 07:03 PM
I have a 14G BioCube that's been up for four weeks and I added my first livestock to it today (a purple firefish, 2 Astrea snails, 1 Margarita snail, and 3blue hermits).

My LFS said the purple firefish will be fine just eating Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes but when I look on Live Aquaria it says you should feed it "chopped or shaved seafood, frozen food preparations for carnivores, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp." So, who is right? Live Aquaria says the colors will fade if not fed a varied diet. My LFS says the reef flakes are fortified with a variety of similar nutrients and vitamins.

Also, I have some small amounts of hair algae growing on about 50% of the surfaces of my live rock (10 lbs worth). The HA is about 1/8" in length (very short). Will this be enough for the hermits and snails to feed on? The two Astreas are eating the HA on the live rock now, the Margarita is attached to the side glass, but the hermits are nowhere to be found at the moment. I'm worried I don't have enough algae on my live rock and tank walls to support this many critters. Should I be concerned and maybe supplement their diet?

Thanks a lot for any guidance or suggestions you might have!