PDA

View Full Version : removing silicone

dirk_brijs
12/02/2011, 09:55 PM
Found an old tank in my storage that I used to use as a Sump/Fuge setup.
I thought it would be the perfect size to set up a small Seahorse cubicle to attach to my system I have now.
The question now is how to remove the baffles without making too many scratches on the outside glass.
Baffles have been connected with Silicone so is there a chemical on the market which dissolves silicone? Dont want to start scratching with little knifes etc again to avoid the outside glass the get all scratched up.

matthewl04
12/02/2011, 10:06 PM
you should be able to just use a razor blade and it wont scratch it. Then use rubbing alcohol to rub away the remaining silicone

Trump
12/02/2011, 11:00 PM
I use denatured alachol to remove it from the acrylic countertops and stainless steel sinks at our fab shop.

uncleof6
12/06/2011, 07:14 PM
Alcohol for a final cleaning, however to really get the silicone off, razor blades, steel wool, and a lot of elbow grease... the glass must be squeaky clean, if planning a re-silicone job. It is time consuming and labor intensive.

JTL
12/07/2011, 10:33 AM
Alcohol for a final cleaning, however to really get the silicone off, razor blades, steel wool, and a lot of elbow grease... the glass must be squeaky clean, if planning a re-silicone job. It is time consuming and labor intensive.

I don't recall if I ever told you that I contacted Momentive and they told me that RTV adheres to itself just as good as clean glass. I assume they are only referring to their product.

uncleof6
12/07/2011, 02:57 PM
I don't recall if I ever told you that I contacted Momentive and they told me that RTV adheres to itself just as good as clean glass. I assume they are only referring to their product.

It does, however, it does not stick so well to OLD, used silicone. Sorry sad experience in this arena.