I had the conditionals reading

If Outlet Sump_Low = ON Then ON
If Outlet Sump_High = ON Then OFF

But it wasn't working, I think because my outlets were programmed incorrectly

Sump_Low is

If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON

Sump_High is

If Switch2 OPEN Then OFF

What am I doing wrong in the outlet programming? After reading what i just wrote here I think I figured out my issue, Sump_High should read

If Switch2 OPEN Then ON

Is that my issue? Thanks

L8ndeb
12/03/2011, 12:30 PM
Have you tried eliminating the command "Set OFF"?

aquamanic
12/03/2011, 01:55 PM
I think you have your switches correct assuming they're configured as closed when in the down position. Up would then be OPEN.

You don't say what switch3 is.

You want both your low switch and your upper switch to be configured so OPEN = OFF. Never have OPEN = ON - you'll flood your sump at some point if you do. Using floats in their normally closed configuration where DOWN = CLOSED = ON tends to work well for both your lower and upper floats.

scarin
12/03/2011, 02:37 PM
@aguamanic that's how they are all set down is closed. Switch3 is low water for the fresh supply tank.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

aquamanic
12/03/2011, 08:44 PM
If you move your float (switch1) up or down by hand (hold it steady for 10 seconds or so) then look at your XML outlet log, do you see the outlet turn on/off?

Is this a Neptune breakout box or did you DIY something?

scarin
12/05/2011, 11:14 AM
It is a Neptune BOB and when I trigger switch1 I see the ATO outlet in the XML log and here the outlet click on/off. Outlet log reads as below. I do not see anything in relation to Sump_Low though. I pulled the XML log and code and deleted the first < from each line to make sure the code appeared

record>
date>12/05/2011 10:04:08</date>
name>ATO</name>
value>ON</value>
/record>"

outlet>
name>ATO</name>
icon>Up/Down Arrows</icon>
outputID>19</outputID>
outputType>Advanced
/outputType>
program>Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Switch2 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch3 CLOSED Then OFF
/program>
/outlet>

<outlet><name>Sump_Low</name>
outputID>25</outputID>
outputType>Advanced</outputType>
program>If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
/program>
</outlet>

swearint
12/05/2011, 12:23 PM
<outlet><name>Sump_Low</name>
outputID>25</outputID>
outputType>Advanced</outputType>
program>If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
/program>
</outlet>
Add Set OFF prior to the If Switch command. Without it, it will stay in the last state and never change.

Todd

L8ndeb
12/05/2011, 12:59 PM
Have you tried eliminating the command "Set OFF"?

Think I'll quit posting until I get a better understanding of the programming. :headwally:

swearint
12/05/2011, 02:31 PM
Think I'll quit posting until I get a better understanding of the programming. :headwally:
An important point to note is that an outlet will retain a given state until something changes it. Secondly, false statements are ignored and therefore the last true statement prevails. So, the Set command is primarily used to define the initial state of an outlet.

For a virtual outlet used to monitor a Switch there are two ways to write it:

If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF

or

Set OFF

So if Switch1 is CLOSED the outlet will be ON and it will remain that way until it is OPEN. At that point, in the first example, the OPEN condition becomes true. In the second example, the Set (always true) prevails. Without the first line of either example, there would be nothing to change the state from ON to OFF.

Where the Set command can cause problems is when controlling over a range, such as with a heater.

If Temp < 80 Then ON
If Temp > 82 Then OFF

The heater can be either ON or OFF between the two points depending on whether the temperature is rising or falling. Assume the temp is 79, so the heater will turn ON. Once the temp hits 80, the first statement is false, but so is the second. Therefore, nothing changes and the heater stays ON. This continues until the temp exceeds 82 and shuts OFF. The reverse happens when the temperature begins to fall.

If you include a Set command, it will interfere:

Set OFF
If Temp < 80 Then ON
If Temp > 82 Then OFF

Assume the temp is 79 and the heater is ON. The temp will rise, but as soon as it hits 80 the last two conditions are false. Those will be ignored and the last true command is the Set. The heater will be turned OFF and never reach any higher.

Hope that helps,

Todd

scarin
12/05/2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks Todd for the help and the overview. The Set off seems to have solved the problem. Would there be any reason to use a fallback command for this type of switch.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

RussM
12/05/2011, 07:21 PM
Would there be any reason to use a fallback command for this type of switch. Fallback only works on EB8/EB4 outlets. In other words, only real 120VAC outlets. There is no benefit to setting fallback on a virtual outlet... it will be ignored.

L8ndeb
12/05/2011, 11:20 PM
An important point to note is that an outlet will retain a given state until something changes it. Secondly, false statements are ignored and therefore the last true statement prevails. So, the Set command is primarily used to define the initial state of an outlet.

For a virtual outlet used to monitor a Switch there are two ways to write it:

If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF

or

Set OFF

So if Switch1 is CLOSED the outlet will be ON and it will remain that way until it is OPEN. At that point, in the first example, the OPEN condition becomes true. In the second example, the Set (always true) prevails. Without the first line of either example, there would be nothing to change the state from ON to OFF.

Where the Set command can cause problems is when controlling over a range, such as with a heater.

If Temp < 80 Then ON
If Temp > 82 Then OFF

The heater can be either ON or OFF between the two points depending on whether the temperature is rising or falling. Assume the temp is 79, so the heater will turn ON. Once the temp hits 80, the first statement is false, but so is the second. Therefore, nothing changes and the heater stays ON. This continues until the temp exceeds 82 and shuts OFF. The reverse happens when the temperature begins to fall.

If you include a Set command, it will interfere:

Set OFF
If Temp < 80 Then ON
If Temp > 82 Then OFF

Assume the temp is 79 and the heater is ON. The temp will rise, but as soon as it hits 80 the last two conditions are false. Those will be ignored and the last true command is the Set. The heater will be turned OFF and never reach any higher.

Hope that helps,

Todd

Thank you Todd for putting it in laymans terms with a layman explaination.