PDA

View Full Version : Mazzei Airjection to drive DIY skimmer?

NBob
12/04/2011, 07:25 PM
Anyone have any experience with
http://www.toro-ag.it/eng/fertirrigation/mazzei-airjection/ ?
$100 (Aussie)

Dude @ shop says that the water coming out is super-saturated with micro bubbles that it looks milky.

Maivortex
12/04/2011, 07:30 PM
This was used in some old school skimmers. It is essentially the same as venturi. You can find 1000 threads on this..........

NBob
12/04/2011, 07:33 PM
Yep, I understand.
I feel like I've read 999 of those threads.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with the specific venturi valve.

Crayonbreaker
12/05/2011, 09:22 AM
Used one like this on a skimmer way back. The only real issue that you have with them is you have to clean them all the time or they clog up. Oh and they make a lot of noise.

NBob
12/08/2011, 08:36 PM
OK, cool.
Thanks Crayonbreaker.
Back to hunting the Beckett foaming pond head.

uncleof6
12/08/2011, 08:54 PM
Is the beckett still being produced? have not seen a foam head in a very long time... i have two laying around

NBob
12/08/2011, 10:39 PM
Crikey I hope so Uncleof6, otherwise I'm not sure where to go with this.

So to recap state-of-the-art went from:
Counter-current with lime-wood airstones
To venturi
To Beckett style foaming pond heads
Where are we up to now?

uncleof6
12/08/2011, 10:45 PM
Tthrough needle wheel Bubble Kings, back to air driven counter current skimmers, DIY. Will most likely out perform a beckett anyway, and will equal and in some cases out do the needle wheel.

NBob
12/08/2011, 10:48 PM
Well that is disapointing.
I have fabricated body & tower for a venturi style.
Wonder how I can modify ?

NBob
02/01/2012, 09:46 PM
So, have done some more reading and am even more confused by option overload.

Can anyone direct me to the latest & greatest DIY skimmer design.

I like this hobby as individuals who are into the DIY thing develop, refine & improve moving the tech forward. The big down side from my perspective is that there does not seem to be anyway to track what is the most recent developments.

uncleof6
02/01/2012, 10:12 PM
State of DIY: DIY skimmers are made in all varieties of available types. The bottom line is, without the testing equipment (very expensive lab type stuff) there is no way to ascertain whether or not your skimmer is a wow or a flop. There is no observational criteria, that is indicitve for skimmer performance. The R & D that goes into QUALITY skimmers, is beyond the hobbyists reach.

What I try to put out, is that they ALL work the same. There is little difference between a beckett, a venturi (mazzei,) meedle wheel, mesh wheel, downdraft, in performance. All pulling out roughly 30% of the total dissolved organics. The air stone driven counter current skimmer is the same 30%. But if you don't have the flow rate, body size, bubble density and size, just right and balanced to the rest, you won't have much, and won't know it.

All things considered, lacking the R & D to make the other types, (although a beckett is pretty much a home depot skimmer, if you can still get the beckett foam head,) the air stone driven counter current skimmer will give you the least headaches getting it to work right. Real easy to get the contact time right: Make it tall.

NBob
02/02/2012, 11:10 PM
Thankyou.
Very clearly put & explained.
Nothing worse than "Mine's better just 'cos it's the one I have."

uncleof6
02/02/2012, 11:30 PM
Thankyou.
Very clearly put & explained.
Nothing worse than "Mine's better just 'cos it's the one I have."

Just as an aside, the air stone driven skimmer, is the only one you can adjust the water flow and air flow independently. Important when trying to dial in a design.