PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about 265 FOWLR

TruespeedEM1
12/05/2011, 09:22 AM
I currently have a 120g "reef" (not too much coral as is, just some basic lps and some easy SPS). I just bought a 265G (7x2x29") and have really always been more interested in fish than the corals, which is the reason I'm thinking about a FOWLR, plus obvious cost differences.

What would be some of the bonuses to having a FOWLR this big instead of a reef? Im still in college but my uncle has his own store and has helped me out tremendously, but everything in this size range is expensive even with his help, so I've been taking things slow!

Thanks!

TruespeedEM1
12/05/2011, 09:28 AM
Also, I'm not really thinking about aggressive to be honest, just more a long the lines of FOWLR semi-non aggressive. My 120 currently has:

1-Naso Tang (still a juvi)
1-Desjardini Sailfin (juvi as well)
2-Oc. Clownfish
1-Coral Beauty
1-Purple Firefish
1-Diamond Goby
1-Yellow Watchman Goby
4-Maldives Anthias (1Male, 3Female)
1-Magnificent Foxface (Juvi)

I also would like to keep Inverts, I currently have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp and would like to add maybe some anemones to the 265 and clams also.

So, I guess I'm considering FOWLR+Clams+Inverts? haha

LisaD
12/06/2011, 03:18 AM
You're just a step away from a reef, you know. :) If you keep clams and anemones, you will need reef lighting, which will be expensive for your tank. You'll also need to pay attention to some water parameters (e.g. calcium) that don't matter as much with fish. The advantages of a FOWLR that big is that you will be able to keep some wonderful fish that would be too big or crowded in the 120, and some beauties that would munch on a reef.

Your tank will be a great upgrade for your tangs and foxface, as they mature. You will also be able to keep other fish that would quickly outgrow your 120. The 265 will be a nice size for fish like larger angelfish, or the less aggressive triggers (like blue throat, Indian - one of my favorites, or cross-hatch). You can keep fish that would be cramped in your 120, that will swim and act more normally in the greater space of the 265.

Some fish on my "must have" list, were I to keep a tank that size:
-Emperor angelfish (I had one in my 210 - a 265 would be even better!)
-Australian harlequin tuskfish - one of the best fish ever for color, temperament, and with blue teeth! (not invert safe though)
-Mimic tang - actually fine for a 120, but one of the most under-rated fish, IMO
-Dalmation or black color morph dogface puffer - the best puffer for temperament and size, IMO- and the Solomon Island color morphs are really elegant looking

If you don't invest in lights, and don't overstock your tank, your up front costs for fish will be high (though less than for corals) but the cost of maintaining your tank will be relatively low due to less electricity and bulb replacement. You also are unlikely to need a chiller. If you don't overstock the tank, and keep either a refugium or plenty of live rock and macro in the tank, you may be able to get by with less frequent water changes than a reef (though DON'T skimp on water quality, and invest in the best protein skimmer you can afford.) I'd light the tank with T5 or power compact fluorescents - get a light canopy used, in good condition, from someone upgrading their lighting for a reef, or getting rid of a relatively new system.

Good luck, I'm jealous!

If you want clams, and the fish you want for the 265 prove incompatible with inverts, can you keep the 120 with your smaller fish, and make it a clam and anemone, invert-centric reef?

TruespeedEM1
12/06/2011, 04:18 PM
Thank for for the response!

I have actually been thinking since I posted this about what I would do with the 120, and am kind of leaning towards keeping it a reef and then making the 265 straight FOWLR. I already have everything for the 120, and like stated the lower lighting needs and lower maintenance for the 265 would give me the best of both worlds.

What im starting to see is that the main reasons why most fish are not reef safe is because of inverts, not corals, which until now I have really never paid any attention to, so that changes things as well!

Devaji108
12/06/2011, 05:44 PM
if you have space and the means to keep the 120 as a reef I would so that way you can keep nems. and other coal and fish that might interest you. and no be temped to put it in the big tank.
although you really need to make the choice to keep it and not slack on the up keep on eather.

if I had that tank and was going FOWLR I would ad a few butterfly's and big angle like the emperor or Queen also a ATS along with the skimmer.
good luck and keep us posted!

TruespeedEM1
12/06/2011, 06:20 PM
I definitely will not be skimping on the skimmer, but I have no experience with an ATS other than what's been posted on here. Definitely worth a shot though. I will be adding a UV ster and refuge to the tank as well.

The more I look at is the more I think FOWLR...this is my inspiration!
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2643/33403588.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/33403588.png/)

My uncle has his own fish business and this is one of the clients he set up.

palmer373
12/06/2011, 08:51 PM
Wow what size tank is that?

Good luck with switching to the FOWLR. I love fish, they are 100% better than corals.

TruespeedEM1
12/06/2011, 09:05 PM
265 :) same exact size and dimensions im setting up!!

Devaji108
12/07/2011, 12:29 AM
nice looking tank!

LisaD
12/07/2011, 11:59 AM
Good luck with it! Post pics. :)

TruespeedEM1
12/07/2011, 03:36 PM
I definitely will. If I started a build thread right now all it would be is pictures of the tank! Once I get some of the more expensive things out of the way I should be able to get the ball rolling with it.

anbosu
12/07/2011, 04:01 PM
I think that tank scape would be awesome with just the two pillars in the middle.

TruespeedEM1
12/07/2011, 08:12 PM
yeah me too, the outside two cover up the overflows though because its an In-wall.

I definitely would like to do something similar though!