PDA

View Full Version : Question about candy cane

ilyad
12/06/2011, 01:46 AM
Hey guys,

I had purchased a neon green candy cane some weeks ago... its was pretty stressed when I just got it, then after a few days it really took off. It had been expanding and was very "fluffly" during the day... recently, it hasnt been expanding as much. I know that these guys use photosynthesis as well as tentacle feeding. Ive been spot feeding my corals more frequently, could it be a the reason why the candy cane isnt expanding as much? If its getting food in other ways, does it not need to be as large to absorb the light? Which is better?

Ps. When I first got it, it was very shriveled and didnt have any feeder tentacles, since then many of its heads got a lot of tissue growth back and regained its tentacles but it isnt as "fluffy" anymore... so is that normal? or is something going on?

Thanks!!!

ilyad
12/06/2011, 01:50 AM
This is how it looked when I first got it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ilyad/Tank%20pictures/IMG_1138.jpg

Then once it got used to the tank
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ilyad/Tank%20pictures/IMG_1260.jpg

This is how it is now
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ilyad/Tank%20pictures/IMG_1365.jpg

Mockmo
12/06/2011, 08:28 PM
i hate similar issues do an extra water change, id did wonders for me.

Cptn Spaulding
12/08/2011, 03:32 PM
WC's and feeding them a couple times a week will help. definitely the feeding part will help.

SpikeLV
12/08/2011, 04:36 PM
please make a water test. High level of phosphate or nitrate can be a reason...

badguitarist
12/09/2011, 02:26 AM
I agree with everything that has been said so far. It could also possibly be a result of over illumination, although usually you would notice that sooner than a few weeks after putting in your tank. have you moved it closer to the light, cleaned your bulbs/glass covers, replaced bulbs or cleared up aged and yellow water (through carbon and/or water changes) recently?
P.S. I know that was a very long and awkwardly asked question, haha!

Dave VG
12/09/2011, 09:24 AM
I see a peppermint shrimp in the first picture. I have had them hassle LPS corals to the death. I have also seen pictures of them actually pulling open the moth of a coral and dig for there food. Watch it closely at lights out. IMO that what maybe happening here.

Zappo
12/09/2011, 11:34 PM
I see a peppermint shrimp in the first picture. I have had them hassle LPS corals to the death. I have also seen pictures of them actually pulling open the moth of a coral and dig for there food. Watch it closely at lights out. IMO that what maybe happening here.

This can be a big problem for corals like candy canes that can't really close up around the food to protect it. Keep an eye on the shrimp and make sure it's not stealing the coral's food. If water parameters haven't changed and you haven't moved it, a lack of food is a likely cause of it's current condition. Also, don't be afraid to feed it frequently. Candy canes will grow like mad when they're well fed.

StephLionfish
12/09/2011, 11:46 PM
I agree with just doing a water change... Mine get like that when I need to do one. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe the already dying heads just died off. Sometimes they just can't come back...for me anyways.

ilyad
12/11/2011, 06:59 AM

The pep shrimp is no longer in the tank... I ended up trading him away because like you guys said, he was a bully, but not to the candy cane, but the Duncan coral

I agree with everything that has been said so far. It could also possibly be a result of over illumination, although usually you would notice that sooner than a few weeks after putting in your tank. have you moved it closer to the light, cleaned your bulbs/glass covers, replaced bulbs or cleared up aged and yellow water (through carbon and/or water changes) recently?
P.S. I know that was a very long and awkwardly asked question, haha!

I havent changed anything with the lighting, and the candy cane is as far down as it goes

please make a water test. High level of phosphate or nitrate can be a reason...

I have tested the water and both are sitting at 0

WC's and feeding them a couple times a week will help. definitely the feeding part will help.

The WC is what might have been the issue, after I did a water change, it seemed to puff up...

Also, it appeared that the living heads were being pressed up against the rocks and that might have been stressing them out. I moved the coral a bit to make sure that it wasn't in contact with anything... also, I continued with my regular weekly water changes and feeding and its doing a lot better.

Here are some pictures of it today

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ilyad/Tank%20pictures/IMG_1409.jpg
This is the new way the coral sits

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ilyad/Tank%20pictures/IMG_1403.jpg
Close Up

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ilyad/Tank%20pictures/IMG_1431.jpg
After its been fed, and you can still see all the feeder tentacles too

Thisseemsfishy
12/11/2011, 09:48 AM
Looks great, glad it worked out for you!

ilyad
12/11/2011, 07:44 PM
Looks great, glad it worked out for you!

There was probably two major reasons for it...

1. I was overfeeding the tank, so a water change helped... the other day I looked at my tank at night and there is quite a lot of bristleworms all over the place, aka too much food floating around in there.

I guess I got a little anxious and fed the corals too much, I just wanted them to be fat and happy, so they grow fast, lol... but I guess I have to remind myself that patience is key here. I cut down on my urges to feed everything nonstop now... its like braking a bad habit... :headwally:

2. It was being stressed because the other polyps were against the rock.

In any case, its doing better... all the other critters look happy too!