PDA

View Full Version : Need help with two issues

Rogger Castells
12/06/2011, 06:43 PM
I am very happy with my controller, the only issues I have are as follows,

1.The quality of the plastic of the power bars , I have three bars and all three have over time gotten cracked and fall of into pieces, they all still work just fine but look terrible, i hate to have to replace the whole power bar for the front cover only but unfortunately the cover is what holds each plug in place and i fear to get a short circuit or fire. I am pretty sure this is a common problem since it happened to all 3 of my bars, does aquatronica offers a replacement cover only? or is it possible to buy it from Italy?

2. The controller backlight, the new controller has become dimmer and dimmer to the point that it is hard to read the letters. i have play with the contrast and brightness settings and at the best settings possible it is very dim.
This is a new style controller, I changed it to the new style controller a while back cause I liked the look of the new and also because it was suppose to be a better unit, my old unit was working just fine. Is this a known issue and does aquatronica offers a repair or exchange? The unit works perfect otherwise.
Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank You!!

AQT
12/07/2011, 06:14 AM
Hi Rogger!

the first issue is not something common; I never heard before this problem. For sure if the power unit falls, it could be broken. The way you describe how the power unit is means, in my opinion, they fell several time. A cover as replacement doesn't exixt; I'm sorry for that.

Concerning the second issue, well, this is a defect we had in one production and we know already there are some cases where the light of the display become darker. But, no problem, you can go to the shop where you bought it and ask for a free of charge replacement because this issue is covered by our warranty. You should come back to the shop with the warranty card and the purchase ticket. An other way to solve this problem is to contact our official distributor for the US HydorUSA; please, check for contact details at www.hydor.com.

Thanks so much
Take care
Davide

Rogger Castells
12/07/2011, 07:14 AM
Hi Davide, Thanks so much for getting back to me so promptly, I am surprise that you haven't heard more issues with the power bar outer shell cracking and I am disappointed that there is no replacement cover that you can offer, I have been a big promoter of aquatronica in south Florida and I can assure you that many of the people here have the same problem.
Regarding the controller unit, I purchased online through your previous distributor in America which was in Canada and no longer in business, No one here in the
US have wanted to take over the warranty issues for items purchased through that original distributor, who do you suggest I bring this to?

Thanks In Advance.

Rogger

RobbyG
12/07/2011, 01:11 PM
Hi Rogger

I made a post and it just seemed to disapear.

I have not had the problem you described with the powerbars, after 7 years mine still look brand new, so I am wondering if it has something to do with the environment.

Mine are kept completely away from all saltwater and salt air, they are in a Dark area with fairly high humidity but are kept at about 80 deg by an extractor Fan that cools down the whole electrical cabinet.

I know that Plastic can disintegrate if it's exposed to very Dry air, heat or sunlight, so I am just wondering what the environment is where you keep the Bars so we can get a better idea on what might be going on.

Robert

Rogger Castells
12/07/2011, 02:51 PM
Hi Robbie, I have three power bars, one is mounted in one of the walls of my cabinet stand, there is a an exhaust vent and a fan in that area so it doesn't get too hot or humid there.
The second is on the side of my canopy between the canopy and the wall (it is a peninsula), it is not that hot or humid there either, the third one is inside of an electrical outdoors box that is mounted directly behind the tank on the outside of the house, that one could possibly get the hottest of all the others since it is expose to the Florida weather, oddly enough that one is the one that is in better shape.
The only thing that I can think of is that the weight of the cables over time have put enough stress on the cover that it cracked. unfortunately the cover is what holds the plugs inside together, IMO it is a design issue and/or a material issue.

Rogger Castells
12/07/2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Robbie, I have three power bars, one is mounted in one of the walls of my cabinet stand, there is a an exhaust vent and a fan in that area so it doesn't get too hot or humid there.
The second is on the side of my canopy between the canopy and the wall (it is a peninsula), it is not that hot or humid there either, the third one is inside of an electrical outdoors box that is mounted directly behind the tank on the outside of the house, that one could possibly get the hottest of all the others since it is expose to the Florida weather, oddly enough that one is the one that is in better shape.
The only thing that I can think of is that the weight of the cables over time have put enough stress on the cover that it cracked. unfortunately the cover is what holds the plugs inside together, IMO it is a design issue and/or a material issue.

AQT
12/13/2011, 01:14 AM
Hi Rogger! concerning the warranty contact HydorUSA as I suggested you; no problem for replacing you the controller even if bought by the former distributor!

I will check better with our technical dept if they had some similar case in the pas but what you complain seems to me stange... can you send me some pictures? In private message you can send attachments!
Thanks so much

Davide

gasman059
12/13/2011, 02:12 PM
Well I'm glad I came across this issue. Have had several post regarding this issue in the past, but there was no presence here in the forums( besides Mr. Robbie) the almighty AQT guru lol.
(preious posts:"Same here- been a user for 10 years now. Rock solid no issues in terms of software.
I would change powerbars- flimsy and tend to break around the plugs, as well as spacing between the jacks"

Great controller but certainly EXACT same issues here.

The powerbars seem to simply disintegrate over time, I've had a total of 6 now yes six. They do crack for whatever reason( no excess power or other user malfucntions).

One of mine is wrapped aorund in electrical black tape as of this moment, when this happens the unit plugs tend to get loose and well u get the idea.

As far as the controller screen ABOLUTELY ,not even playing with dimming takes care of this problem.

BTW I've used AQT for over 10 years now, and even no controller is perfect this one does what its supposed to do always, and no reason to change here.

Pls advise for another loyal customer- my previous orders where placed out of A.Obssesed.

AQT
12/14/2011, 01:10 AM
Hi gasman!
info you gave me are not so good :-(. To be honest I'm a little bit surprised because this is the first (ore better.. the second if you consider what Rogger wrote) complain on our power unit. Can you please send me a picture?! I want to understand better this issue with our tech dept... this is something we can not accept and we have to find where the problem is!!

Concerning the loyal customer... contact our official distributor in the US: HydorUSA based in Sacramento. They are a very good partner and they could direct you to the nearest shop where to buy Aquatronica. Please, check HydorUSA's contact details at www.hydor.com.

Thanks and please... keep in mind to send my some pictures of the demaged power unit.
Davide

Rogger Castells
12/14/2011, 10:33 AM
Hi Rogger! concerning the warranty contact HydorUSA as I suggested you; no problem for replacing you the controller even if bought by the former distributor!

I will check better with our technical dept if they had some similar case in the pas but what you complain seems to me stange... can you send me some pictures? In private message you can send attachments!
Thanks so much

Davide

Hi Davide, Thank you for your answer, I have contact Hydor and I am now waiting for their response, I will keep you updated, I will also send you pictures of the power bars.
Thank you

Rogger Castells

RobbyG
12/14/2011, 01:03 PM
Very Interesting, I am trying to rack my brain around why some people have this problem.
Rogger just about eliminated all possible things that can kill plastic and I can safely assume that he does not have Ozone running near all three of these bars.

Rogger and Gassman besides the weight issue do you have any other ideas, did you notice which ones cracked first, the ones with the most weight or maybe the hotter or cooler ones? Any more idea's you might have on this would be helpfull.

gasman059
12/14/2011, 08:53 PM
BTW I also contacted Hydor and pending response.

Pic: You will noticed the unit has been wrapped around electrical tape to avoid further progress.
After several powerbars this is a conitnued issue, again not related to manual damage or falling etc etc. Its imply happens over time from unplugging( BTW not pulling) or any other man made mistakes.
It just simply over time for the lack of better words weakens and causes what was mentioned above, once this happens the 'plugs become loose, making removing any electrical outlets simply a task.

Hopeing this helps.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n320/gasman059/IMG_0391.jpg[/IMG]

gasman059
12/14/2011, 08:56 PM
Very Interesting, I am trying to rack my brain around why some people have this problem.
Rogger just about eliminated all possible things that can kill plastic and I can safely assume that he does not have Ozone running near all three of these bars.

Rogger and Gassman besides the weight issue do you have any other ideas, did you notice which ones cracked first, the ones with the most weight or maybe the hotter or cooler ones? Any more idea's you might have on this would be helpfull.

Robbie weightt in my experience does not seem to be an issue, altough possible. Bue then again some of this plugs have not been touched for years( no reason to LOL)

It just seems the plastic casing becomes either brittle or what not causing this problem.

AQT
12/16/2011, 01:08 AM
That's incredible!!! never saw before something like this!! we are contacting now our supplier for further information. In the meanwhile, gasman and rogger, could you please give me your address? I will send you a new cover... hoping this new cover won't have this same problem!
Anyway, gasman, please, send me a bigger picture which show all the power unit... it seems like there is a big pressure or weight... also the double-sided tape which fix the power unit seem to be demaged, it's not lined up.
Thanks
Davide

Bui
12/16/2011, 09:17 AM
From the look of the picture, seem like the weight of the electrical cable is breaking the housing.

I have mine for 2 years & it look brand new (I have a dry compartment in my stand and I have a build in cable support also tho). My backlit on my controller unit however is dimming on me.

gasman059
12/19/2011, 05:41 AM
That's incredible!!! never saw before something like this!! we are contacting now our supplier for further information. In the meanwhile, gasman and rogger, could you please give me your address? I will send you a new cover... hoping this new cover won't have this same problem!
Anyway, gasman, please, send me a bigger picture which show all the power unit... it seems like there is a big pressure or weight... also the double-sided tape which fix the power unit seem to be demaged, it's not lined up.
Thanks
Davide

Davide the tape was a fix after the problem. Like I stated before I've had over 6 powerstrips over the last 10 years and eventually they all seem to "crack" or weaken.
It has nothing to do with user malfucntion- trust me after 6 units and the expense you would think the thought process will be there in my part to avoid this issue.

thx Ill get to it pic wise.

As far as the other units they all have been replaced by new ones and discarded.

Aquarium obssesed LOVED me LOL

AQT
12/19/2011, 06:26 AM
hope to solve this issue with the new cover we are going to send you!!
Please, keep me informed on this issue.
Take care
Davide

gasman059
12/19/2011, 11:22 AM
Divide thx for your excellent customer service regarding the cover.
The dimming issue has not been resolved in my case and no answer from hydor.

nickjj
12/22/2011, 06:12 PM
One issue that could cause the crack is that the spacing between the outlets is very tight. If you force a grounded plug into an outlet that is beside another grounded plug it can put pressure on the housing and crack.

I've had to file the plastic on the ground pin side of a plug to try and get them to fit beside one another.

In the image you have exactly the situation that will put pressure on the housing. The outlets need to have a little more space between them to accommodate the fatter plugs.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the type of plastic or enviromental issues causing this problem.

AQT
12/23/2011, 05:56 AM
Hi nickjj! Yest this could be the cause of the broken plastic... thank for your suggestion!
Davide

Rogger Castells
12/23/2011, 10:54 AM
One issue that could cause the crack is that the spacing between the outlets is very tight. If you force a grounded plug into an outlet that is beside another grounded plug it can put pressure on the housing and crack.

I've had to file the plastic on the ground pin side of a plug to try and get them to fit beside one another.

In the image you have exactly the situation that will put pressure on the housing. The outlets need to have a little more space between them to accommodate the fatter plugs.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the type of plastic or enviromental issues causing this problem.
It is not my case as I also filed the ground insulation on all my plugs, if you don't do that they simply don't fit.

RobbyG
12/23/2011, 03:23 PM

Nick I think you got this 100% right, as I look at the picture I can see that the Plug is pushing into the other but the one on the RIGHT has the T Brace supporting it so it can't move but the LEFT plug has nothing so it moves up and cracks the platic beam.

I have had problems with tight plugs but I just file away a small bit of the plastic near the ground pin and they always fit in ok. I think this is a case closed situaion but I think it also says that if AQT plans on ever changing the power bars they need to add about 2mm more space on each plug.

gasman059
12/26/2011, 09:13 PM
Nope since multiple breaks in different areas does not support this theory including outside of the plug perimeter in various strips over the years.

The plastic is in my opnion and experience not up to par.

nickjj
12/27/2011, 08:35 PM
In your image I also noticed you are not using the aluminum mounting straps that are provided to secure the power bar to something. They would normally be in the two areas where the case is wider between the plugs.

How did you mount the power bar to the wood that is above it in the image? Are the straps on the ends?

gasman059
12/28/2011, 06:14 PM
In your image I also noticed you are not using the aluminum mounting straps that are provided to secure the power bar to something. They would normally be in the two areas where the case is wider between the plugs.

How did you mount the power bar to the wood that is above it in the image? Are the straps on the ends?

yes Ive used the aluminum mounting straps as well as wider starps.

I know you are trying to wrap yourself around this issue but trust me when I tell you every possible scenario in terms of weight distribution and bracing has been atempted w/o succes.

After several powerstrips-6 to my recollection they all end up simnply "breaking" this is a mutliple user accounts.

Rogger Castells
01/12/2012, 10:15 AM
Davide, I just wanted to let you know how thankful I am for your help, I am extremely satisfy, the Hydor Distributor sent me the controller unit and I swap it with no issues.
I just receive the power bar outer cases, I should work on them as soon as have some time to take each one out and swap the covers.
Let me know if you guys keep an aquarium at your production facility or office, I would love to send you a free supply of good American made frozen fish food, That goes for you too Robbie, send me a pm with your info.

Rogger Castells

AQT
01/13/2012, 07:40 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

AQT
01/13/2012, 07:44 AM
Hi Rogger!!! thanks so much for your positive feedback!! I'm happy to read you are satisfy!! For sure we have aquariums in our offices!! How we couldn't have some?!! :-D.
Yes, I think our fishes will appreciate the frozen food!! I suppose you know the address of Aquatronica; btw, here it is:
AEB Technologies
via dell'Industria, 20
42025 Cavriago (RE)
Italy

Thanks so much Rogger!! take care!!
Davide

gasman059
01/31/2012, 07:46 AM
BTW I will also like to leave a positive feedback regarding the outer case as I recieved mine promptly!

Great job aquatronica.

As far as my display change no answer yet I did email the US distributor for an exchange sevral time w/o answer.
Ill try again

AQT
01/31/2012, 08:03 AM
hi gasman!! no news from HydorUSA?! That's very strange to me!! Normally they have a great after sale service...
I'll try to chat with them later if they will be on line... :-)
BTW, please, write me a private message with your e-mail and I'll give you the direct contact of HydorUSA.
Take care
Davide

AQT
01/31/2012, 08:06 AM
hi gasman!! no news from HydorUSA?! That's very strange to me!! Normally they have a great after sale service...
I'll try to chat with them later if they will be on line... :-)
BTW, please, write me a private message with your e-mail and I'll give you the direct contact of HydorUSA.
Take care
Davide

gasman... I've already your e-mail contact... I'll write you on this!!
Thanks
Davide

gasman059
01/31/2012, 09:18 AM
Pm sent

TYVM

gasman059
01/31/2012, 02:41 PM
Done again thanks for excellent CS!