PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto grew quick, then left as quick?? Ideas?

Blackhawk708
12/07/2011, 09:13 AM
Two-parter here.

I was getting a lot of GHA in my display after I was on vaca for a week. Bought a long spine urchin that moved down everything green and kept the tank clear. Fast forward 6-8 months until the urchin grew half the size of my tank and I had to sell him.

Hair algae came back after a few months of being busy and slacking on water changes, so I got a fist full of Chaeto into the sump with a 6500 bulb on 12+ hours. Chaeto grew and filled the entire side of my sump in a month or two and the hair algae in the tank was turning slimy, and I could just suck it out during water changes but still would come back slowly.

Well know about 6 months, maybe less, have gone by and the chaeto that started out as a small ball, grew into a gigantic mass, and has now shriveled and fallen apart into a small, and loose, fist full again, and still getting smaller. Meanwhile, the hair algae in the display is still growing slowly and turning slimy (dieing I have been assuming?) and keeps coming back. Along with some calp and red turf now spotting up?

Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on, both with the chaeto dieing off so quickly and the hair algae becoming slimy? I had thought the chaeto would take up the Phos before the hair algea could and keep it from coming back, what am I doing wrong here?

Amphiprion
12/07/2011, 02:12 PM
Did you ever trim and thin the Chaetomorpha? It needs to be thinned and/or trimmed regularly to retain vigor and growth, like most plants. It sounds as though you allowed it to reach the peak of its growth curve and then subsequently decline without any intervention. It may have reached a point where it sporulated if it was starved and/or stressed enough. After it declined, other species that were suppressed by competition moved in to fill the missing niche.