PDA

View Full Version : Old Man Ocellaris

Water Box
12/07/2011, 03:47 PM
I have a pr. of Ocellaris that have been with me for about 10 years now. 2 house moves, a tank crash, and a number of different tank set-ups.
The male is starting to hang out in the low current areas and his color has dulled. I was worried about disease but I am starting to think old age has set in. I have tried to find life span inf but I have seen estimates from 3 yrs to 20. Tank mates are fine, his significant other is looking a little aged but otherwise doing fine, and I don't want to remove him to a quarantine tank if he is just elderly. Anyone have any personal experiences with the life span of tank raised Ocellaris?

PS I also just needed to express a little bit O' Sadness to folks who understand. You know, people who won't say "they're just fish".

Thanks all

Treg
12/07/2011, 04:06 PM
Ive read of a pair that I guy had for 30 years.

I've had my Perculas for 9 years.

NatureNerd
12/07/2011, 08:48 PM
My pair I have had for almost 16 years. They still breed and they look the same as they did 10 years ago, maybe a touch bigger but that is it. I know how you feel. Mine lived through a tank crash that took out all other fish and all but a few of my corals. These two clowns were my first fish. I was worried they wouldn't make it. They, and their anemone, pulled through and are as healthy as ever.

Monstrigity
12/08/2011, 01:46 AM
10 years is a good long time in captivity, but nowhere close to the maximum lifespan of a clownfish. I wouldn't suspect old age unless he was at least in his 20's. Look at other possibilities such as disease or negative interactions with tank mates.