PDA

View Full Version : need advice for clean up crew

j86miu
12/08/2011, 09:38 AM
I'm looking to add a cleanup crew for a 14gallon biocube... i have about 11lbs or live rock and 1.5" of live sand. I don't have a protein skimmer and don't plan on getting corals anytime soon. I would like to add one fish in with the crew, a damsel of guppy maybe?

What's the best combination of snails/crabs i should get for the cuc for my setup?

Thanks!

mjhall85
12/08/2011, 10:52 AM
They usually say 1 snail per gallon but that's not always true. how long has the tank been up and running? Any algae issues? I would add the CUC first then a fish but that's just my opinion

steve888
12/08/2011, 10:57 AM
I have a 5-week old 14G BioCube as well and here's my CUC:

2 Astrea snails
1 Margarita snail
3 Blue-Leg Hermit crabs

My single fish is a purple firefish.

I only have a small amount of green hair algae on my live rock and the Astrea snails and Hermits have cleared away almost all of it. The Margarita spends most of the day scouring the tank walls and glass for algae. From what I've read, I think my CUC is too big and there's not enough algae for them to eat.

Your LFS might tell you to immediately put in 10 snails and 10 hermits but be careful. If you don't have enough algae in your tank for them to eat, the hermits will kill the snails for food and even each other if they get hungry enough.

I would start small depending upon how much algae you have for the CUC to feed on.

Also, be careful with damsels as they are generally aggressive and territorial. If he's the only fish in the tank you'll be fine but don't pair a damsel with a non-aggressive fish (like a goby, for example).

d0ughb0y
12/08/2011, 11:09 AM
I have a 60 cube and I have 2 turbo snails and I think that is too much, they poop a lot and the poop is heavier and don't dissolve into the water column as easily as fish poop. do not overdo cuc, particularly, do not buy those little miniature snails.

davocean
12/08/2011, 11:30 AM
Smaller snails would be my choice, ceriths, nerite, nassaurius, and they do a great job.
Some like hermits, but I too have had them pick at stuff, mainly my snails, so I only use snails.

j86miu
12/08/2011, 11:35 AM
no, no algae yet, I just started cycling not too long ago but just wanted to start doing some research on what kind of cuc would be best. will i definitely see an algae/diatom bloom?

mjhall85
12/08/2011, 02:01 PM
The first year of you having your tank you will see algae blooms for sure throughout the first year. How long do you keep your lights on? I would just add a couple snails to start but that is just my opinion.