PDA

View Full Version : Toadstool died, I swear, and came back to life!

bobpiker
12/09/2011, 11:16 AM
I have a smallish, 1 " toadstool among several others, some of larger size. For some reason (probably because my alk had gotten too high and my calcium was over 500 for awhile) I started seeing some coraline actually buildng up on my toadstool's cap. All of my others were fine. One day, it stopped polyping and over the course of 3 weeks built up a later of coraline on its cap that made it appear as if it were wearing a coraline helmut. It hasn't polyped for close to a month. I was sure it was dead because of the amount of coraline that had covered it. I thought I would just leave it alone and ultimately have a piece of dead "rock" with live coraline sticking up from a base rock. Low and behold, this morning I notice small polyps actually beginning to poke through the coraline helmut. To the touch, this helmut was very hard...just as you would expect. Somehow, the polyps were able to push their way through, so it looks as if this toadstool is going to survive. I think it's incredible and a true testament to the utter hardiness of a toadstool!

Anyone else experience something like this?

Bob