PDA

View Full Version : Moving 6 foot aquarium in freezing cold

LoJack
12/09/2011, 04:04 PM
Got a question for everyone. How would you feel about transporting a glass tank long distance in the cold in the back of a pickup.

I need to pick up a new tank, and will be in Winnipeg for New Years Eve (Go LEAFS Go!) I figure the temp will be between -25 to -35 Celsius. I then will be driving home (500 miles).

Will this shatter the tank?

Will moving it inside cause it to break? Will the silicone be compromised? Will reintroduction to heat cause a crack?

Not sure whether or not to go ahead with this idea or not ... what would you do ?

--Tyler

Gonzalex
12/09/2011, 05:28 PM
The silicone would be my biggest concern. If acclimated correctly both ways I dont see a problem with the temps on the glass, but Im no professional.

mx838
12/09/2011, 06:49 PM
You will be fine. I bougt my tank in 20-30 degree temp drove it home in that ans brought it in and 4 years later.... yep still running.... The cold wont hurt it.

dave.m
12/09/2011, 08:04 PM
You go cheering for the Leafs in Winnipeg and you'll get more than your silicone compromised. :rolleye1:

djm

LoJack
12/10/2011, 11:47 AM
You go cheering for the Leafs in Winnipeg and you'll get more than your silicone compromised. :rolleye1:

djm

lol nice

syrinx
12/10/2011, 12:24 PM
Those tanks are shipped in unheated semis all the time. I have never seen or heard in all my years in the business of a tank having issues from the cold- and obviously wind chill does not effect inantimate objects. Likely someone has had a problem somewhere- but the odds are very much in your favor.

CUZ
12/10/2011, 12:32 PM
I hauled my tank home in -20C in a trailer for a 2 hr drive, Everything was just fine.

NanoReefWanabe
12/10/2011, 09:43 PM

djm

lol go cheering for the leafs anywhere you should get more than a compromised tank...

i have a couple tanks sitting in the garage i have used more then once, and they have seen more then one winter out there...

as long as you dont give the tank a hot shower when you get home it will be fine to go from the back of your truck to the living room/basement...