PDA

View Full Version : Adding A Sump Baffle Without Silicone Need Suggestion

Caulfield
12/09/2011, 07:12 PM
Have a 20g sump/fuge and have the typical setup: one baffle between drain and skimmer area leading to the fuge. Then, buffle trap from the refugium to leading to the return.

I want to add a 2nd baffle so that the flow from the skimmer/drain area is up and over then down so that the water flow is then force up and over again before leaving the fuge. The 2nd baffle to be placed approx. 1" off the glass bottom of the sump.

Has anyone attempted inserting a baffle in place using a method that does not use silicone or any other adhesive? Perhaps with EPDM window/door insulation or using air line tubing?

Photo shows a 'trial' design that I did not use (for illustration only). The 1st baffle on the left was taken out. Now, I want to add it back in but to the right of the baffle. BUT, the sump and refugium are now fully functional and do not want to pull it from the tank system.

Molehs
12/09/2011, 07:16 PM
I used marine grade EPDM window/door insulation on an acrylic baffle in my glass aquarium, works just fine for me.

Caulfield
12/09/2011, 07:27 PM
I used marine grade EPDM window/door insulation on an acrylic baffle in my glass aquarium, works just fine for me.

Can I asked where you found marine grade EPDM? And, was it with or without adhesive back?

Molehs
12/09/2011, 09:22 PM
Can I asked where you found marine grade EPDM? And, was it with or without adhesive back?

Got mine, with adhesive, at Home Depot. My Menards carried the same brand but not the marine grade.

I'll try and find the article where I learned about it tomorrow. But make sure that your baffle is 1/4" smaller than the tank so that you have 1/8" on either side for the EPDM. Also you put it in at and angle and then gently/firmly square it up.

Molehs
12/10/2011, 07:20 AM
Baffle EPDM tutorial:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm

Caulfield
12/10/2011, 08:41 AM
Got mine, with adhesive, at Home Depot. My Menards carried the same brand but not the marine grade.

I'll try and find the article where I learned about it tomorrow. But make sure that your baffle is 1/4" smaller than the tank so that you have 1/8" on either side for the EPDM. Also you put it in at and angle and then gently/firmly square it up.

Baffle EPDM tutorial:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm

Very helpful. Thank you.

Regarding 'marine' grade EPDM, I very recently bought several packages of this from Home Depot and Lowes for insulating doors in my home. All used up now, but did not notice it was anything other than 'standard' not marine grade. And, even after careful cleaning of surfaces, there is an issue with Frost King's products staying adhered. Because of that experience, I'm skeptical that it will hold in saltwater.

That said, I ordered this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000052033 hoping it will work (black not available).

Molehs
12/10/2011, 10:15 AM
The adhesive is only useful for putting it on the baffle. Once in place friction holds it together. I've had a baffle in place for 6+ months with no issues.

Caulfield
12/10/2011, 10:41 AM
The adhesive is only useful for putting it on the baffle. Once in place friction holds it together. I've had a baffle in place for 6+ months with no issues.

Good to know. :) Thanks!