PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Marin Calcium-magnesium test kit

Waterobert
12/09/2011, 07:17 PM
I am not sure if my test is good.
After adding the powder reagent the solution turned very light blue. Then I added one drop a time reagent C, however I had hard time seeing solution turning colorless. So my calcium is somewhere between 400 and 380 but can't be sure. Is that normal for this test kit?

Waterobert
12/11/2011, 08:37 AM
Bump

HighlandReefer
12/11/2011, 08:50 AM
I'm not familiar with this test kit.

Regarding the use of most of these type test kits, some things that may help:

1) Throughly swirl and mix the testing solution between each drop you add. Otherwise you can get false results.

2) Use a pure white background directly behind the test container. This makes it easier to see proper color changes.

3) Use florescent natural daylight bulbs to view the test container, most test kits are designed to be viewed under natural daylight. Some florescent bulbs can make things appear a differernt color due to the primary wavelength of light used. Incandescent bulbs can make everything appear more yellow.

HighlandReefer
12/11/2011, 09:05 AM
FWIW, some florescent bulbs (not the natural daylight) will make things appear more blue colored & when using a blue dye test kit this can make things difficult. ;)

Waterobert
12/11/2011, 10:01 AM
Next time I am going to do the test during day time with natural light. This test kit was looking so promissing in terms of accuracy

Steadysteady
12/11/2011, 05:22 PM
From my very limited experience, I have found that always easier to do tests with good daylight. Never test after it even starts to lose light now and normally go to a window with looking for change.

Steve Wright2
12/11/2011, 06:00 PM
I have previously used the combined Calcium and Magnesium kit from Tropic Marin
and found similar
but since then I have used Salifert and it is more or less the same outcome in that I am never 100% certain if the colour I have is the target colour or did I need a couple less or couple more drops

IMO , with a test kit, if you get a reading of somewhere between 380 and 400, that is within tolerance for user error anyway

I know many people will define parameters to an exact number
possibly those with more experience using a specific kit
or possibly with those using kits that are of a better quality or type

my calcium using Salifert is 420 - 440 , and I am happy enough with that degree of tolerance in my testing

I am more concerned with my DKH but even that all I will confirm is that I am somewhere between 8.3 and 8.6 - again as long as my testing continues to find results within that tolerance, I am happy enough to put the differences down to user variations

Steve