PDA

View Full Version : ~110x flow rate in BB, yet deitrus still settling

E-A-G-L-E-S
12/09/2011, 09:51 PM
Ok, I received my Hydor Koralia Smartwave controller and two Kotralia 1050's yesterday. They were added to my two Koralia 1400's.
This is in my 40g Breeder SPS.
I also have an Aquaclear 70 running Purigen, Phosban and Carbon.
So, ~110x flow rate at all times and I still have poop settling on the bottom, albeit not sitting still, but not being pushed up into suspension for my overflow.
1400's are constantly running from back side pane corners facing down and towards the middle.
The 1050's are on the Smartwave with a 15min alternating one pump on at a time cycle, they are on the side panes as well but at the front, also facing the middle but more straight across the top 1/3 of the water column.

karsseboom
12/09/2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe you need a more broad flow like a vortech pump which sweeps the bottom.

E-A-G-L-E-S
12/10/2011, 12:04 AM
I owned MP10's and they were too loud for my small living room, so I sold them on here.
This much flow, even if less dispersed than a Vortech, has to be more than enough to keep it churned no?

jg2269jg
12/10/2011, 12:22 AM
i think the vortechs would be a better option then the koralias because with the vortech you get a undertow affect which helps keep things off the bottom and in the water coloum. i havent seen this with the koralia.

Useful_Idiot
12/10/2011, 08:42 AM
I dunno, you could try to have more of them pointing down to blast the bottom. I've read that enough koralias on the same side will create a undertow but haven't tried it. The best flow I got in my fuge with koralias was when they were working with each other, one on the leftside in back other on the rightside in front swirling the water. And just to be captain obvious having as little rock touching the bottom will help alot.

RubberFrog
12/10/2011, 08:48 AM
Move your koralias down a little lower.

reefereef
12/10/2011, 10:45 AM
I run 4 hydor magnums 8's in a 8' long 220g tank and only have two maybe three little spots where junk builds up but only where multiple rocks meet each other on the tank bottom. I think you need to play with positioning the powerheads more. Also try turning you wave timer down,I run mine so the are 3m/10sec/5min on/off/on cycle and it seems to be working good.