PDA

View Full Version : NP Bio-pellet reactor setup

epsaxon
12/10/2011, 10:21 AM
I am adding a NP bio-pellet reactor and want to have the effluent go through my UV canister and then through my ozone reactor before being used as the feed to my recirculating skimmer. Will there be any adverse affects from this setup, such as some funky chemistry changes?

tkeracer619
12/10/2011, 11:45 AM
Why would you want to do that?

The biopellet reactor has bacteria flowing out of it. It will clog anything and everything it comes in contact with.

You also won't have close to the right flow rate for your uv.

Set it up properly on its own pump.

reefereef
12/10/2011, 10:22 PM
I agree, give it it;s own pump

epsaxon
12/10/2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. The reason: One of the purposes of the bio-pellet reactor is to contain the bacteria in a confined space. I want to remove as much of the bacteria as possible to lessen the amount that makes it to the main tank. i do not want to see 'white haze' or strings of bacteria in the main tank. I am sure there are setups that direct the reactor outlet to skimmers (which is recommended by some skimmer manufactures and AFAIW all reactor manufactures) to remove an estimated 30 to 40% of the bacteria in the skimmer feed water.Another reason is based on economic and environmental concerns as our hobby consumes a large amount of energy that we, as responsible reef keepers, should try to minimize as much as possible. Every watt counts!

Not sure what you mean 'by clog everything up it comes into contact with'. Yes, there will be bacteria in the outlet but I hardly think it will be of such quantity and consistency that it will clog a skimmer, ozone reactor and a 36w Coralife UV canister both of which already share a feed pump running at 200gph (750lph) going to the skimmer. The low flow through the UV is to allow for a more complete biological kill rather than just algae control as recommended by the manufacture. The bio-pellet reactor is rated for 200gph also.

I am really asking is there any chemical or biological concerns I should consider before attempting it?

reefereef
12/10/2011, 11:11 PM
well if you can find all three pieces of equipment that need the same gph rating as your bio reactor then go for it. To me i would think that the skimmer would need a different flow rate compared to the uv and ozone, ozone should be fed into the air inlet of your skimmer anyhow

BigKahuna
12/10/2011, 11:33 PM
If you have a pump good enough to push through all those devices you'd just be better off building a manifold and feeding them all the proper flow with that single efficient pump, which is exactly what I do. If you're that worried about getting every last bacterium you could just put a section of 4 inch PVC pipe with a hole drilled in the side for the BP reactor output. Put this in front of the skimmer input and it should make sure almost all the BP effluent gets into the skimmer.

epsaxon
12/11/2011, 12:19 AM
If you have a pump good enough to push through all those devices you'd just be better off building a manifold and feeding them all the proper flow with that single efficient pump, which is exactly what I do. If you're that worried about getting every last bacterium you could just put a section of 4 inch PVC pipe with a hole drilled in the side for the BP reactor output. Put this in front of the skimmer input and it should make sure almost all the BP effluent gets into the skimmer.

I am not trying kill every last one as I only run the UV 12 hours during the day and the ozone (100mg/hr) at four one hour intervals at night. I am just trying to minimize the spread as much as possible. My skimmer is a SWC Xtreme 180 Cone that I modified to be recirculating so the four inch pipe will not work for me but that is a very good idea for non recirculating skimmers. A separate feed pump sends dirty tank overflow water through the UV and Ozone to the skimmer. As far as the manifold goes, I also have a manifold setup off my main Sicce Multi 9 recirc pump that i could use so I will have give that idea some more thought. Thanks.