PDA

View Full Version : What Skimmer and Return Pump

mrFly
12/10/2011, 04:01 PM
Hello

I'm a newbie to this and I am setting up my first Salt Aquarium. I have a 75g Rimless tank and a Trigger System 36' Ruby Red Sump. I would appreciate any advice on which skimmer and return pump to purchase. Is ther such thing as over skimming a system?

Thanks in advance

reefergeorge
12/10/2011, 04:05 PM
HA.. That's like asking what kind of car to buy.. Do you want internal or external? Look at octo skimmers, and either ehiem or mag pumps if you go internal. If external, I love my posiden pump. It is silent.

Zappo
12/10/2011, 05:08 PM
It all depends on what you want to keep in the tank. If you plan to have sps then there's no such thing as over-skimming and the biggest skimmer you can fit/afford would be good. If you plan to stick with softies and maybe a few lps, they tend to like a slightly dirtier tank and you can go with a smaller skimmer.

As for pumps, a mag 7 or mag 9 would get the job done if you want something internal. They're extremely reliable.

jon99
12/10/2011, 09:15 PM
If you plan to have sps then there's no such thing as over-skimming and the biggest skimmer you can fit/afford would be good.

I disagree to some degree. While over-skimming may not be a problem, a skimmer that's too large for a system can. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but many retailers on this site say that an oversized skimmer may not perform as well as one that's properly matched to the aquarium size and stocking level of the tank, and often recommend a smaller model when asked by other reefers if a particular skimmer would be too mch for their tank. However, with that being said it's better to have too much skimmer than not enough... especially since so many people upgrade and get larger tanks down the road.

+1 on the Octopus skimmers. They're cheap as far as skimmers are concerned, and get great reviews. I have the Octo Extreme 200 which has been kicking butt for 2 years now. Then newer SRO models look even better.

On pumps you have to decide external vs. internal. I have a Iwaki external pump that I would highly recommend. Check out this short video on choosing a pump... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ROt2XHwm8&feature=player_embedded#!

JOSHRS3
12/10/2011, 11:16 PM
I got a ASM G2 skimmer, and it has done great for 3 years. Just have to be consistant with sump water levels. You could always go with a bigger return and put a valve on the return line and adjust has needed. I got a mag 9.5 and have it cut back alittle. Helps if you move up on tank size later. One less thing to buy.

smellslikeTUNA
12/10/2011, 11:36 PM
Hello

I'm a newbie to this and I am setting up my first Salt Aquarium. I have a 75g Rimless tank and a Trigger System 36' Ruby Red Sump. I would appreciate any advice on which skimmer and return pump to purchase. Is ther such thing as over skimming a system?

Thanks in advance

yeah buddy you won't be disapointed with the trigger system sump! go with octopus nw110 for skimmer and an eheim1262 or higher on the return

mrFly
12/11/2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the advise. I plan on using internal skimmer and pump to save space for other items in the stand. I was looking at SWC and Octopus skimmer lines. I have heard and read great things about both. Just unsure which model to choose and the size . Same with return pumps. unsure with what gph rating I would need for this set up.

duke62
12/11/2011, 03:46 PM
i would run a mag 7 or a eheim with same gph and look unto the vertex in100 skimmer.great skimmer for the price

jon99
12/11/2011, 04:38 PM
Also check out octopus SRO line. The 1000 or xp10000 (cone version) would work great for your size tank.

As far as size of ur return pump it depends what you plan on doing with the sump. If a portion of it will be a refugium you want low flow through it (1-5 X the size of the sump turnover per hour)... So no more the 180gph on the return pump. You increase flow in the display tank with powerheads and closed loop systems.