PDA

View Full Version : Dosing vinegar

spsfreak1977
12/11/2011, 09:47 AM
Anybody just dosing vinegar in there tank I hear it safer then vodka going to start vinegar and mb7 to help with this nitrate problem I am having a so anybody have goos results with just dosing vinegar and mb7?
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

silentscream
12/11/2011, 12:18 PM
You'll find more discussion on this topic in the reef chemistry forum. I wouldn't call vinegar safer, just more diluted. Both vodka and vinegar can easily get you into a place where if you're not paying attention to what your reef tank is "telling" you, things can go south.

tankaddict
12/11/2011, 06:07 PM
I use vinegar only w/o mb7 and it works great. I do get a bit of cyano though.

Gangous
12/11/2011, 06:22 PM
I have dosed both me personally like vinegar ! Never had any cyano or anything

duke62
12/11/2011, 06:53 PM
people who i know who dose vinegar do it wth prodibioi think that how you spell it LOL.im sure there are many articles you can research using ay search engine

Gangous
12/11/2011, 06:56 PM
I do use prodibo!!

Sisterlimonpot
12/12/2011, 01:50 AM
I dose vodka because it's a purer form of carbon. There are pros and cons of each carbon base (Vinegar, Sugar and Vodka).

With vinegar you have more room for error in the fact that it's more diluted than vodka so it can be forgiving if you accidentally overdose...

jnc914
12/12/2011, 09:18 AM
Previously dosed vodka and water was crystal clear, corals were bright and healthy, but the cyano was horrible. I adruptly stopped dosing it....big mistake. My tank basically had a major nitrate spike and subsequent spike in ammonia that killed off many of my fish and coral. I am just now starting to rebuild. I started dosing vinegar 2 weeks ago and tank is starting to look good again. I am at 50ml a day for about 160-180 total water volume. I have noticed no cyano or other nuisance algae. I dose throughout the day so as avoid a drop in PH.

rmalone
12/12/2011, 10:53 AM
Wow thats alot of vinegar. I have dosed up to 5ml per day in about 200g volume. Works fine I was probably under dosing though, I generally only dose vinegar when I have drank all the tanks vodka myself. I really need to back to putting 15% vinegar in with my vodka, keeps me out of the stuff.:D

Sisterlimonpot
12/12/2011, 11:30 AM
Interesting, I dose 17 ml a day of vodka to my 125, I can't remember what the exact ratio of vodka to vinegar, (roughly 8:1) which means that if I was dosing straight vinegar I would be dosing 136 ml daily.

edit: and for what it's worth, I don't have much cyanobacteria, anytime that I see it starting to form I hit it with a turkey baster and it ends up in the filter sock.