PDA

View Full Version : Tangs and ICH

Crazyfingerz
12/11/2011, 08:30 PM
what species of Tang is best able to withstand ich.

Crazyfingerz
12/11/2011, 08:30 PM
I heard that sailfin are the best at withstanding ich

Reefing Newbie
12/11/2011, 09:01 PM
Most tangs of the Ctenochaetus and Zebrasoma genus are hardy, the latter being more hardy. The sailfin would be okay assuming you have a tank that is at least 8 ft long. If not don't get one because they grow very large. If you have a 5 ft tank then you could look into purple and yellow tangs, both being fairly hardy. The yellow tang is far cheaper though, so if you are unsure it would be wise to get the yellow tang so you aren't out the money. It is your tank though, so it is up to you. You can get a yellow eye kole tang or a tomini tang if you have a 4 ft long tank that is at least 75 gallons(55s are too narrow for any tang to turn around). Hope this helps.

Crazyfingerz
12/11/2011, 09:12 PM
Most tangs of the Ctenochaetus and Zebrasoma genus are hardy, the latter being more hardy. The sailfin would be okay assuming you have a tank that is at least 8 ft long. If not don't get one because they grow very large. If you have a 5 ft tank then you could look into purple and yellow tangs, both being fairly hardy. The yellow tang is far cheaper though, so if you are unsure it would be wise to get the yellow tang so you aren't out the money. It is your tank though, so it is up to you. You can get a yellow eye kole tang or a tomini tang if you have a 4 ft long tank that is at least 75 gallons(55s are too narrow for any tang to turn around). Hope this helps.

but whats the more important factor, swimming space or water volume. cause some people hv 8ft long tanks packed with live rock that takes up most of the space, so the tang is not getting 8ft of swimming space.

diesel444
12/11/2011, 09:22 PM
The purple tang is a tough fish my purple had ick bad when we got him and he lived, we had the heat go out at home tank water was 55 and he lived. Don't think that was good for him but we had him 7 years now.

Reefing Newbie
12/11/2011, 09:29 PM
Swimming space, you have more swimming space in an 8ft tank than you do in a 4ft tank if they were similarily aquascaped. For open swimming fish(tangs, anthia, chromis, etc...) the bigger the foot print of the tank the better. The minimum foot print for a sailfin tang is the foot print of an 8ft long 240(96"x24"), height is good at 24". Any extra height is really only for personal preference or if you have a fish that is tall. Sailfins will be fine with 24" or more.

Crazyfingerz
12/11/2011, 10:16 PM
I guess i will settle for a yellow tang then, thanks for the advice

Reefing Newbie
12/11/2011, 10:35 PM
No problem, sorry if they came out in an aggressive way. It's just that fish like this need their space or they will start showing behavioral problems, killing other fish until they feel they have room, or they may stop eating and eventually starve.

Crazyfingerz
12/11/2011, 10:53 PM
No problem, i'm greatful for any advice. i want to save money not spend and loose it.

reefergeorge
12/12/2011, 02:04 AM
My sailfin has never shown any signs even when tankmates do. Purple tang a close second.

Reefing Newbie
12/12/2011, 09:31 AM
How big is the sailfin? They won't show signs until that individual feels it doesn't enjoy sharing space. A purple tang shouldn't outgrow your 125 if it is the one in your sig.

MrTuskfish
12/12/2011, 12:56 PM
I really don't know what you mean by "withstand" ich? Do you mean live with it or just catch & carry it?
If you don't use a QT, any fish can carry ich into your tank.

sandwi54
12/12/2011, 01:22 PM
If you don't use a QT, any fish can carry ich into your tank.

+1. QT every new fish and treating for ich will prevent getting ich into the DT and you do not have to wonder which fish can withstand ich more. "Managing ich" may work for a while, but never works long-term.