PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have a lionfish NPS tank?

harleychic
12/11/2011, 09:34 PM
Hello, my mom would like a tank with a lion fish, and she seems to be partial to NPS corals. I have a 55g she can have, the spare lighting I have would only be appropriate for very low light corals. She LOVES lion fish, I know it would have to be a fuzzy dwarf, not the volitans she really wants, but my concern for a tank set up such as this, is that the lion would eat any CUC, yes? Would heavy intermittent skimming and very frequent water changes offset the heavy feeding schedule for the corals?

username in use
12/12/2011, 07:10 AM
Any NPS tank will require heavy feeding and large, regular water changes. I don't see why you couldnt keep a fuzzy dwarf in there.

ashtree68
12/12/2011, 12:30 PM
I keep lions in with a couple of my NPS corals, with no problems. Stay on top of water changes and everything and you won't have any problems.

As far as CUC, I have hermits, and other crabs, a chocolate chip and brittle stars, basically it's just no shrimp as those will get eaten. Snails are completely fine as well.

harleychic
12/14/2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks, mom will be happy. Are any of the smaller lions suitable for this size tank more free swimming than the fuzzy dwarf? Thanks again!

harleychic
12/14/2011, 06:01 PM
ashtree68, doesn't your cc star go after your corals?