PDA

View Full Version : Help with door mounting idea

am3gross
12/12/2011, 02:01 AM
I need help with an idea.. I am in the middle of making my doors for my stand. I'm not using any hinges. I was thinking about using some metal along the top of the door with a slight lip on it for it to hang on. That's my idea.. Any other thoughts here? I have Been putting this off for so long but the time has come and the doors are almost done. Was hoping that something would come to me while I was building the doors. So far nothing.. Help me out!!!

bmiller1234
12/12/2011, 07:54 AM
I used a strip of 1x2 to hold it on the bottom and then just put Velcro at the 2 top corners to hold it in place. This way I can remove them and set them out of the way when doing maintenance water changes etc

scubaman2
12/12/2011, 08:28 AM
I need help with an idea.. I am in the middle of making my doors for my stand. I'm not using any hinges. I was thinking about using some metal along the top of the door with a slight lip on it for it to hang on. That's my idea.. Any other thoughts here? I have Been putting this off for so long but the time has come and the doors are almost done. Was hoping that something would come to me while I was building the doors. So far nothing.. Help me out!!!

I am struggling with the same problem. I thought about using some type of clips. Not sure yet how it would work.

Vinny Kreyling
12/12/2011, 09:49 AM
Why not do what the mfgs do?
If you look @ a door from the end, a reverse upside down(h) on top & just a reverse (h) on bottom edges.
Slip door in on an upward angle to engage top then move door in on bottom and drop onto lower end and done.;)

NanoReefWanabe
12/12/2011, 09:53 AM
i like magnets...my doors rest on the bottom of the opening and use magnets to keep it in at the top and there is a couple magnets on the bottom too....as long as the door is sitting on the opening there is no worry of it looking off kilter or off centre...

bereanracer
12/12/2011, 11:31 AM
+1 for magnests. I made my doors out of the same material used to skin the stand with a frame around the door. A bunch of magnets sunk in around the frame with a their counterparts sunk into the stand hold the doors in place. The panel then slips inside the door opening which helps to prevent any sump light from sneeking out from around the door.

am3gross
12/12/2011, 12:16 PM
thanks for all the great ideas so far!! what ever i do for the stand i have to do to the canopy to match so i wont be able to let it rest on anything.. i know i can buy magnets strong enough to hold the doors, i just am not sure if that is the way i want to go... as far as the h idea goes i think that is the way i am going to go, how ever instead of the h i will do the v.. and then i will have the tape go around the door so that no light gets out of the door... this is how i am leaning anyways..

any other ideas!! keep them coming!

Everyones Hero
12/12/2011, 12:30 PM
I plan to use magnets on my new stand. Let the weight of the door sit on the bottom of the stand & use magnets to hold the upper part in place. I got the idea from someone else on here. Seems simple & effective.

Velcro works for a while but the salt gets into the strips & tends to wear down the glue too. They used them on the sump doors when I was at Petco & over half of the panels were just leaning against the sumps because the glue came off one surface or another.

Whatever you use please give us an update & let us know the pros & cons of it.

scubaman2
12/12/2011, 12:40 PM
I like the magnet idea.

GTSI
12/12/2011, 02:13 PM
I ghetto'd my side doors by using carpet bar and inverting one side so the lip catches each other. Works really well, especially if your doors are on the heavy side.

davocean
12/12/2011, 02:42 PM
Your original plan w/ a metal channel could work similar to what we call french cleats, basically just two wood strips cut at opposing angles, or you could even do it out of wood, and it would be completely hidden.

Gorgok
12/12/2011, 05:16 PM
Two legs at the bottom and two magnets at the top hold my door panel in place. I can remove the door in basically any way because of that design, instead of strictly up and out like with cleats.

BlueChip
01/02/2012, 08:47 PM
Anyone got any pictures of their magnet set up or the H/V set up?

Utah Fatman
01/02/2012, 11:10 PM
I saw some at one of the local fish stores. They were latches inside the door with nothing showing outside. He put a magnet on the wood to release the latches. Looked pretty nice with nothing hanging out front. I'd like to try those. Anyone else know anything about them?

drywall_guy87
01/02/2012, 11:29 PM
not sure if someone said this already but if you look at the bottom 2inches you can see the joint I used plywood and cut a 45 sanded the edges and it slids in to place I have kids so I'm putting cam locks on top but magnets would work great it sits in place by itself

am3gross
01/03/2012, 03:50 PM
i finished mine up. i used magnets in the top corners and for the stand doors i ran a piece of quaterround for the doors to "sit" on with the magents in the top corners... here is a picture of the finished product

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/am2gross/IMG_2458.jpg

am3gross
01/03/2012, 03:51 PM
cant even see the quarter round on the bottom.. stained it the same color as the stand...

scubaman2
01/15/2012, 02:57 PM
i finished mine up. i used magnets in the top corners and for the stand doors i ran a piece of quaterround for the doors to "sit" on with the magents in the top corners... here is a picture of the finished product

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/am2gross/IMG_2458.jpg

Where did you get the magnets?

am3gross
01/15/2012, 05:48 PM
kjmagnetics.com