PDA

View Full Version : performing water changes for biocube

j86miu
12/12/2011, 09:58 AM
I have a 14g biocube and plan on having FOWLR for the time being. Right now I have 1 damsel fish in there and 4 hermit crabs and 4 cerith snails. I have pretty much the stock equipment - original filter, I removed the biofilter for live rocks (14lbs) and live sand, and the original sponge filter at the end.

I plan on adding purigen and filter floss in place of the original filter very soon (not sure if this makes a differnece).

Should i do water changes only when it looks like I should, when test kit shows parameters changing, or just on a regular basis?

sponger0
12/12/2011, 10:00 AM
Regular basis

rovster
12/12/2011, 11:11 AM
I change the water in mine 4-5 times/month and everything has been great. Mine is heavily stocked though. I would say once a week would be optimal, and twice a month if you are lightly stocked and your filtration and feeding habits are within reason.

Oh, on a side note, if you wait until it "looks like you should", you are way too late and have really stressed your pets......JMHO

steve888
12/12/2011, 11:20 AM
Doing water changes on a regular basis is perhaps the single most important thing you can do to maintain a healthy environment for your livestock (assuming you are using good quality water for the change).

I also have a 14G BioCube and I do 2-3 small changes per week. I've read that smaller, more frequent changes are better than single large changes (but I know that's debatable).

Since the 14G BioCube is so small, it's very quick and easy to do a small change several times a week. Also, with 10 lbs of LR in your display, you probably only have about 10-11 G's of water in there (due to the displacement) so that makes water changes all that more important as compared to a larger tank.

thegrun
12/12/2011, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=steve888;19618856]I've read that smaller, more frequent changes are better than single large changes (but I know that's debatable).

QUOTE]

I don't think I would call it debatable, unless there is a compelling reason to make a large water change (removing contaminates from the tank) smaller more frequent water changes are better for your livestock.

carternewbee
12/12/2011, 02:53 PM
I have just started my first saltwater tank. Its made by clarity plus has anyone heard of them? It looks like a cube the whole back part of tank is wet dry system. has a skimmer in it but that just dont look right just a tube is about 3 inches round with a 1/2 inch hole half way down it and a collection cup at the top. Not shure how to use it or for that matter how to set it up.
any help plssssssssssssssssssssss

carternewbee

steve888
12/12/2011, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=steve888;19618856]I've read that smaller, more frequent changes are better than single large changes (but I know that's debatable).

QUOTE]

I don't think I would call it debatable, unless there is a compelling reason to make a large water change (removing contaminates from the tank) smaller more frequent water changes are better for your livestock.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm reading a book called "The Nano Reef Handbook" by CR Brightwell and that's exactly what he recommends. :beachbum:

dimitrge
12/12/2011, 08:55 PM
Get in the habit of doing them weekly. Its difficult at first but once you start doing them it gets easier and faster

carternewbee
12/13/2011, 01:20 PM
I have a 29 gallon tank how much water should I change per water change? And will this help with cloudy water it wasnt that way till I did a 5 gallon water change. What am I doing wrong?

sponger0
12/13/2011, 01:23 PM
I have a 29 gallon tank how much water should I change per water change?

10% water volume or 2.9 gallon. Or to make it an easy number, 3 gallons.

My biocube 29, I do 5 gallon water changes most of the time

dimitrge
12/13/2011, 01:25 PM
I'd do 5 gallon changes. Should help with water clarity as well if there are no other issues.

sponger0
12/13/2011, 01:35 PM
Itll help with removing nutrients from your system, but if your having water clarity problems, thats something also to look into

carternewbee
12/13/2011, 01:37 PM
The tank seems to be getting worse should I do another water change last one was three days ago. 5 gallons

sponger0
12/13/2011, 01:38 PM
Define worse......

carternewbee
12/13/2011, 03:28 PM
cloudy seems to have more detris floating in it also
would a fluidized bed filter help?
The tank is made by clarity plus 29 gallon with wet dry system built into back part of tank. Would a sock filter be a good idea over the foam filter in center of filter before bio balls?

carternewbee
12/13/2011, 04:58 PM
cloudy seems to have more detris floating in it also
would a fluidized bed filter help?
The tank is made by clarity plus 29 gallon flatback hex with wet dry system built into back part of tank. Would a sock filter be a good idea over the foam filter in center of filter before bio balls?

sponger0
12/13/2011, 05:01 PM
Can you give a pic of the filtration area? Some filter floss maybe able to clear up the water

Are you using any type of carbon?

And also what are the water parameters

carternewbee
12/13/2011, 06:04 PM
I have no carbon filter in the tank water conditions are good I run my salinity at 1.025 do you think that might be a bit low? heres a few pics

carternewbee
12/13/2011, 06:05 PM
hope I got the upload of photos right let me know

TjwBlake
12/13/2011, 07:38 PM
With the nano size tanks a regular water change is a must with how quick things can go south in small tanks. All it has taken for me is 10% weekly, running floss and chemipure and i have had no problems and clear water

carternewbee
12/15/2011, 01:51 PM
I did do a 5 gallon water change thats when my tank went foggy I plan on doing another one today. I have forgotten to say I have 25 lb live rock and at least 4 inches of live sand on bottom. Tank is well established like I said it was fine untill I made water change.

j86miu
12/15/2011, 02:43 PM
With the nano size tanks a regular water change is a must with how quick things can go south in small tanks. All it has taken for me is 10% weekly, running floss and chemipure and i have had no problems and clear water

chemipure... i keep hearing that name... how did you decide between that and purigen?

Meslo
12/15/2011, 04:12 PM
when you do a water change are you mixing the water yourself ? if so you need to mix the salt in the RO/Di water and let it mix over night with some kind of pump in there to keep it circulating.

TjwBlake
12/15/2011, 05:13 PM
chemipure... i keep hearing that name... how did you decide between that and purigen?

Chemi pure elite has the added Ferric Iron Oxide to help with phosphates and silicates. I believe that is something Purigen is missing

j86miu
12/15/2011, 06:03 PM
Chemi pure elite has the added Ferric Iron Oxide to help with phosphates and silicates. I believe that is something Purigen is missing

and chemipure can replace the stock carbon filter right?

TjwBlake
12/15/2011, 06:05 PM
i havent run carbon since i ran out of the sheet that came with the tank.. that was close to 10 months ago. So i would say that yes it replaces it.