PDA

View Full Version : kalk dosing without a reservoir?

submersible
12/12/2011, 06:49 PM
I would like to start dosing kalk, but don't have a lot of room for a reservoir. Right now my RO filter runs straight to a float switch in the sump, which is on a timer to come on once in the morning, and once in the evening. Is there anyway I can plumb a kalk stirrer/reactor in-line?
Or any other it can be done?

Thanks

scarface70706
12/12/2011, 07:01 PM
how much room do you have below? can you post a pic?

d0ughb0y
12/12/2011, 07:03 PM
a kalk stirrer is plumb in line with the top off water line going in to the sump.
but you don't want to top off all at once (or twice) as the ph may spike too high.
but before you go any further, your setup will reduce the life of your RO membrane. Better to just get a reservoir and a pump and an ATO, and you can plumb the kalk stirrer in line.

submersible
12/12/2011, 07:49 PM
how much room do you have below? can you post a pic?

I'm relocating my sump to a closet behind the tank. Going from a 30 breeder, to a 100g stock tank. While there is enough room in front of, or above the tub, i'd like to keep it uncluttered if possible.

a kalk stirrer is plumb in line with the top off water line going in to the sump.
but you don't want to top off all at once (or twice) as the ph may spike too high.
but before you go any further, your setup will reduce the life of your RO membrane. Better to just get a reservoir and a pump and an ATO, and you can plumb the kalk stirrer in line.

Makes sense.
I get pretty good life from my membranes/DI resin, but I have read that also. I have 2, 60ish gallon water barrels in the garage, plumbed to the tank, that I use for water changes. The top barrel has RO water(which I should use to feed my ATO), the bottom has SW. I pump the tank water down the drain, and pump fresh SW back into the tank.
Would a 10-20g aquarium, with a lid, and a dosing pump, and maybe a powerhead for circulation, work? Gravity feed the small tank, from the RO barrel, and add kalk as it depletes?

scarface70706
12/12/2011, 07:57 PM
yea i highly recommend a ATO system. you should be able to fit one in your stand. do you have a pic so i can see what you mean by cluttered? i felt the same way when buying a ATO and reactors but when i got it all set up it actually looks nice and tucked away neatly.

submersible
12/12/2011, 08:35 PM
yea i highly recommend a ATO system. you should be able to fit one in your stand. do you have a pic so i can see what you mean by cluttered? i felt the same way when buying a ATO and reactors but when i got it all set up it actually looks nice and tucked away neatly.

Current:
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4497/img1691l.jpg

Future:
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7311/img1692x.jpg