PDA

View Full Version : Can skimmer and return pump go in same compartment

joegoersch
12/12/2011, 08:25 PM
I'm upgrading after 6 months with a 29 gallon DT and 29 gallon fuge, to a 120 gallon DT and a fuge of size yet to be determined (maybe 50 gallon, I gotta see what fits in the new cabinet, it's almost done). I'd like the sump to have as much space as possible for a refugium, so I'd rather not set up the baffles to make the one space for the skimmer (I think I'm going with Seaside Aquatics CS2 or possibly SRO 2000 int) and one for the return pump.

Instead I'd like one space in which both the skimmer and return pump could reside. 'Would this work or would the skimmer likely introduce too many bubbles which would then get pumped up to DT ? Anyone with experience with either of these two skimmers care to comment ?

thanks ?

blackx-runner
12/12/2011, 08:33 PM
along with the bubbles from the skimmer its also better to separate them for water level purposes. The return chamber water level will vary with evaporation. You want the water level in the skimmer section as constant as possible for best skimming results.

Bens_Reef
12/12/2011, 08:46 PM
you kinda have to have at least 3 baffles for a very basic sump/fuge set up, sump/skimmer section, return section and then fuge section. i have tried a few configurations for the same reason as yours and really would never do less than 5 baffles for bubble trap purposes. you are only really losing 1 inch of length with every additional baffle. 1 inch by however wide will handle the flow you will have through there. i have only 3 in mine and wish i had 5, it would cut down on bubbles alot more and yes my skimmer is in a different area than my return. regulating your water level with less baffles will be a hassle im certain

scarface70706
12/12/2011, 10:01 PM
it can work. this is how i run my sump. theres so many different ways and preferences it really just comes down to you. i run a reef octopus right next to a mag 9.5 and i dont have any micro bubble problems and water levels are easy to keep consistent in that section thanks to a ATO. like i said theres many ways but it all comes down to what you want.

joegoersch
12/13/2011, 07:32 AM
Eventually i might want to get a mandarin fish. Any issue with the skimmer gobbling up copepods if skimmer in same section as return pump?