PDA

View Full Version : First FOWLR, but a few Reefs

MattyO
12/12/2011, 08:39 PM
So the story goes like this... I have 2 reefs (a 72 BF at my Parents and 29 BC in my House) and everything is well. I have a chance to snatch a 180 RR nice and cheap. I would love to do a reef in it, but with the lights, dosing, and everything else... I decided I would do a FOWLR tank instead.

My fishlist ATM is
Harlequin Tusk, Powder Blue Tang, Fuzzy Lion, Papuan (or Blue Spot) Toby Puffer, Majestic Angel, Marine Beta, and perhaps a smaller Goatfish.
Inverts
Either Chocolate Chip Star or a Red Knob Star, and an Urchin or 2 and I would try a large Coral Banded Shrimp(I know it prob would get eatin).

First, as I have only really dealt with Reef Safe Fish... anyone see any problems with that list in a 180?

For Lighting, I was thinking some simple clip on fixtures with Corkscrew CFL's to fit a netted top.

Other Equipment... Oversized UV Filter, Oversized ReefOctopus Skimmer, the usualy Heaters, PH's, Brute Trashcan, RO/DI Unit and either one large Mag Pump or 2 smaller ones (what would you recommend).

Thanks for all the help!!

MattyO
12/12/2011, 09:09 PM
Bahh, If the Lion really would have fins chewed away I would have to replace him with a Dwarf Angel and a GSM pair or something else... Suggestions would be great.

Radix
12/13/2011, 12:59 PM
puffer and lionfish should not be mixed in my opinion. and there are various compatibility charts online.

JSeymour
12/13/2011, 01:41 PM
Scrap the lion, likely to be bullied and possibly hard to feed in the long run. If possible, add the majestic first, they can be picky eaters. This will give time to adjust properly to the tank and not have to compete with an aggressive feeder. The powder blue should be last, as they are typically very mean fish and usually not too sensitive. Don't forget to quarantine. :)

JSeymour
12/13/2011, 01:54 PM
For Lighting, I was thinking some simple clip on fixtures with Corkscrew CFL's to fit a netted top.

Other Equipment... Oversized UV Filter, Oversized ReefOctopus Skimmer, the usualy Heaters, PH's, Brute Trashcan, RO/DI Unit and either one large Mag Pump or 2 smaller ones (what would you recommend).

Your lighting can be as simple or extravagant as you want, play around and see what you like best. If you quarantine properly, the UV sterilizer will be redundant, scrap it. It is not a substitute for a good quarantine procedure anyways. Do you plan on using the mag pumps for circulation? Wavepumps(tunze, koralia, seio, vortech) will be better, your fish will enjoy swimming in the current more and if on a wavemaker, they will help keep uneaten food out of your rocks.

anbosu
12/13/2011, 01:54 PM
Overall I think it's a good list if you get rid of the potential puffer/lion problem.

MattyO
12/13/2011, 07:23 PM
It seems the Lion is Scrapped. I think the Papuan Toby is beautiful looking. Thanks for the advice on the 1st and Last... I have used Koralia and other simple powerheads, along with Vortecs. Did not realize flow was as important as in a reef... figured a few PH's to keep down dead spots would be fine, so Thanks.

I was thinking of trying to stick with this stocking order...
Majestic Angel
Marine Beta
Harlequin Tusk
(Perhaps) Goatfish
Toby Puffer
(Perhaps) GSM Clowns or Dwarf Angel
Powder Blue Tang

with the inverts sprinkled in.

MattyO
12/13/2011, 07:24 PM
any recommendations? Still not sold on the Clowns or Goat so there is potential room lol

anbosu
12/14/2011, 08:58 AM
How about a trigger? Maybe a blueface pair or something similar?

JSeymour
12/14/2011, 07:41 PM
What about some butterflies? Active, colorful, average aggression levels, and many are actually quite hardy. Many are also relatively cheap, $30-70. As long as you stay away from strict corallivores and have a good quarantine procedure(which of course you have to do anyways), they would be great additions. Pearlscales are one of my favorites.

The biggest downfall to butterflies, they get injuried so easily. They should never be netted, always herded into a bag or large container. They ahould also be bagged for transport in very large bags, and actually transported in dark surroundings. All of this is to prevent mouth injuries, as a butterfly that can't eat, is usually a doomed butterfly.

MattyO
12/24/2011, 10:56 PM
So we are back and it is down to either a 125 or 180. At this point I am shooting for the 125 so if I get the 180 it would be great.

I was thinking of a long horn cowfish in addition to...

Current proposed stocking list is
Majestic Angel
Marine beta
Harlequin Tusk
Toby puffer
Powder blue tang

ROB712
12/25/2011, 12:49 AM
Ive had my lion and puffer(and triggers for that matter) for over a year with zero problems with them. Knock on wood.

Wistler
12/25/2011, 10:29 AM
From what I have read the cowfish get real big, but I could be wrong. I have also read a few threads that say the marine beta is a very aggressive fish. I have seen one at my fish store and thought they looked cool.

As far as lights, I am really impressed with the Current-USA pro LED strips. I spoke with a company rep there and I think when I wanna replace my T8 strip light I may go with two 36" strip LED in the factory housing.

I just started a 180 FOWLR tank and a lot of folks on here gave me some good advice on fish stocking.

You can see the link here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2107532

I have a 20 gal long tank wrapped in black vinyl on three sides that I use as a QT. I also do a 5 day treat with Prazi-pro and then a 14 day QT period with new fish.

I also run a AQUA UV sterilizer on my FOWLR, but not my reef. Good Luck.

MattyO
12/25/2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks whistler, I haven't seen to much about the betas n being overly aggressive, but they wll eat smaller fish. I do think the different damsels would be nice little flashes of color though. How do u like the sterilizer?

MattyO
12/26/2011, 01:59 PM
So I should be picking up my 180 tomorrow. I plan to have it up and running by next weekend.

I have gone back and forth, and will still go back and forth but as of now this is my stocking list in order

Majestic Angel
Pakistan butterfly
Majestic fox face
Harlequin tusk
10-12 assorted damsels
Toby puffer
Powder blue tang

A friend also has a flame angel in his reef and he suspects he is eating some corals so he might come over also

I would love a long horn cow and have always know of their size and poison.. Just cannot bare having a tank crash because of him

nanoreefer1000
12/26/2011, 03:42 PM
So the story goes like this... I have 2 reefs (a 72 BF at my Parents and 29 BC in my House) and everything is well. I have a chance to snatch a 180 RR nice and cheap. I would love to do a reef in it, but with the lights, dosing, and everything else... I decided I would do a FOWLR tank instead.

My fishlist ATM is
Harlequin Tusk, Powder Blue Tang, Fuzzy Lion, Papuan (or Blue Spot) Toby Puffer, Majestic Angel, Marine Beta, and perhaps a smaller Goatfish.
Inverts
Either Chocolate Chip Star or a Red Knob Star, and an Urchin or 2 and I would try a large Coral Banded Shrimp(I know it prob would get eatin).

First, as I have only really dealt with Reef Safe Fish... anyone see any problems with that list in a 180?

Thanks for all the help!!IMO don't get the lionfish, a hawkfish would be a cool add. The marine betta might get a bit bullied otherwise I don't see any major problems and your urchin and shrimp might get killed, I don't know about the starfish.

MattyO
12/26/2011, 03:59 PM
Nano, thanks for the post. Mi have already scratched the lion n beta. I've got to do more research about the cuc but I know it will mostly be me lol

Wistler
12/30/2011, 09:52 PM
Matty,

I just added a few pics to my thread so check the link a few posts above. I would say go for the Mag Foxface and Toby puffer as I love mine. I plan on getting a Harlequin Tusk soon as they are a cool fish.

I have a yellow tang in QT and a Purple on hold in my buddy's tank. I am gun-shy of the blue hippo and powder blue tangs B/C of their dry skin and potential to be ICH magnets. If I were you I would consider other tangs.

I love the AQUA UV unit I have. Sure it was $270 bucks and some on RC will say they are a waste of money. However, in a FOWLR tank where I run it 24/7 I have to believe that it is a little extra insurance against my tank getting sick. I still do weekly water changes, QT new purchases, and don't over feed. When I researched UV units I read 43 reviews from reefers that said their whole life was plagued with dead fish and heart break, and when they bought a BIG UV unit like Aqua UV then they lost a lot less fish. That sold me.

Wistler
12/30/2011, 09:52 PM
Matty,

I just added a few pics to my thread so check the link a few posts above. I would say go for the Mag Foxface and Toby puffer as I love mine. I plan on getting a Harlequin Tusk soon as they are a cool fish.

I have a yellow tang in QT and a Purple on hold in my buddy's tank. I am gun-shy of the blue hippo and powder blue tangs B/C of their dry skin and potential to be ICH magnets. If I were you I would consider other tangs.

I love the AQUA UV unit I have. Sure it was $270 bucks and some on RC will say they are a waste of money. However, in a FOWLR tank where I run it 24/7 I have to believe that it is a little extra insurance against my tank getting sick. I still do weekly water changes, QT new purchases, and don't over feed. When I researched UV units I read 43 reviews from reefers that said their whole life was plagued with Ich and heart break, but when they bought a BIG UV unit like Aqua UV then they lost a lot less fish. I read all the "stickies" about the life cycle of ich and how it burrows in the substrate and can never be eradicated. However, I saw so many people saying how much better their tanks thrived while running UV and that sold me.

viggen
12/30/2011, 10:51 PM
I always thought damsels get quite the attitude when they get older. Thus I would skip those

My powder blue (knocking on wood) is a tank. His attitude is on the bad side but ich is something he doesn't get. Some can be ich magnets while others can be very very hardy.... they can also have a HUGE attitude!! Mine is in my 210g & is probably 6in long & .5+ in thick..... with him, my sohal & blue hep tangs they do not have enough room. PB picks on the sohal (added sohal last, he's about a inch smaller), sohal picks on hep.... they will be in their new home soon!

If it was me in place of the damsels I would do a yellow, purple or similar tang, you could probably add a few of them

Wistler
12/31/2011, 07:53 AM
Viggen,

My fish dealer has a pair of 1.25" Snowflake clowns that are beautiful and priced to move. When you advised the OP to avoid damsels, are you referring to clowns too? I know they are in the damsel family, and maroon clowns can be terror. I figured with larger tangs, fox face and the humu trigger I have the snow clowns would not get too bossy.

I really wanted a pair of pretty clowns in my 180, so I'm anxious to hear your advice.

MattyO
12/31/2011, 08:01 AM
So here is an update.. I have the tank and I am after testing it but there is a chip I am not comfortable with...
http://http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2112271

Wistler
12/31/2011, 08:07 AM
the link isn't working for me....

MattyO
12/31/2011, 08:48 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2112271

If you copy n paste it that should work.. It's prob my only thread started in the reef discussion section