PDA

View Full Version : Calcium and other trace elements

Authentic
12/13/2011, 07:03 AM
I am just getting into keeping some sps and am having trouble keeping my calcium levels up,
Parameters
30 gal nano w lots of lps and soft
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Sal .25
Cal ,never over 400
Amm 0
Alk 2.7
Kh 11

I bought a purple seriatopora and it won't come out
Everything else in my tank is doing fine
I'm adding kale washer as top off and have tried calcium carbon actor
Should I just keep adding calcium?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/13/2011, 07:16 AM
Just so that you don't get confused in the future, none of the things you list are trace elementss. Trace elements are those that are present in seawater at very low levels. Things like iron, copper, arsenic, tantalum, etc. :)

I presume the alkalinity is 2.7 meq/L? If so, that corresponds to 7.6 dKH, so I'm not sure what you are saying about alk and Kh.

What is the calcium level, aside from not being over 400?

Authentic
12/13/2011, 07:26 AM
380 calcium,when I add the recommended amounts of liquid calcium or carbon actor it will go to 400.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/13/2011, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure what carbon actor is, but kent Liquid Calcium is a fine way to boost calcium. I'd boost it a bit more, but 380 ppm is not a big problem. :)

blueregaltang
12/13/2011, 11:47 AM
Hi
So by stating Kale washer you mean to say you are using Kalk Wasser (Lime water) to top off, correct?
You refer a Kh of 11, so alkalinity of 11 dkh, correct? ... if it is so that could be one of the reasons for your seriatopora to be closed as it is to high for such coral, however you also mention a Alk of 2.7 ... so that is 7.6 dkh and thus like Randy, I'm confused... can you please clarify and help us to help you ... TY

blueregaltang
12/13/2011, 12:19 PM
One more question please ... by carbon actor you mean to say Carbon Dioxide dosed Reactor, so a Calcium Reactor, correct?

Anyway, if your Alk is 11dkh, then you should lower it slowly to say 8.5 dkh and try to not let it go over 9 dkh. You can do that by performing daily water changes which in your case would be about 2 to 3 gallons a day, some 8 to 10% of the nano total volume. You should also stop from topping off with Lime water (Kalk wasser).

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/13/2011, 01:41 PM
I was thinking it meant GAC. :)

Authentic
12/13/2011, 03:10 PM
sorry for the confusion as i am fairly new to the chemistry.my calcium hardness test was around 10-11.and my alkalinity is 2.7 on my red sea test kit.which is mid to high normal on the color scale.what should i do?i was dosing calcium carbonator and using kalk water for topoff

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/13/2011, 03:16 PM
Can you tell us what you mean by a calcium hardness test result of 2.7? What kit? What units? Do you mean carbonate hardness? If so, it is testing the same thing as the KH kit (what kit?) and getting a different answer.

i was dosing calcium carbonator

What is that, exactly? Brand and exact label?

Authentic
12/13/2011, 04:57 PM
Ok,I am using reef results marine calcium carbonation buffer,I only have a hob filter and this product does not work to raise calcium in my tank.
I also have tried adding kent marine liquid calcium 2 ml,
My alkalinity test kit is red sea and the color chart for normal is 1.7-2.8 and my test is closer to 2.8
Red sea calcium test kit.which is the one I am basing this on shows increments by 50 ppm so not very accurate but my tests are always 350-400 no higher
API carbonate hardness test is 10
I also have kent marine 2 part nano reef ion and buffer system for nano reef aquarium

So I would like to get my sps coral to come out,again everything else in the tank seems to doing well.but I'd like to add more sps in the future but will wait to get this one doing well

blueregaltang
12/13/2011, 05:51 PM
Ok,I am using reef results marine calcium carbonation buffer,I only have a hob filter and this product does not work to raise calcium in my tank.
I also have tried adding kent marine liquid calcium 2 ml,
My alkalinity test kit is red sea and the color chart for normal is 1.7-2.8 and my test is closer to 2.8
Red sea calcium test kit.which is the one I am basing this on shows increments by 50 ppm so not very accurate but my tests are always 350-400 no higher
API carbonate hardness test is 10
I also have kent marine 2 part nano reef ion and buffer system for nano reef aquarium

So I would like to get my sps coral to come out,again everything else in the tank seems to doing well.but I'd like to add more sps in the future but will wait to get this one doing well

So you are using these tests?

Red Sea pro calcium test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT9tEHp828w

Read Sea pro alkalinity test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb4NnYOFneA

API carbonate hardness test kit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDcW0vk4qKQ

Authentic
12/13/2011, 06:58 PM
No
No
Yes
I don't have the pro test kits

Authentic
12/13/2011, 07:13 PM
Kh 179ppm,API test kit
Calcium is at 320!api test kit

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/13/2011, 07:44 PM
Forget that Reef Results calcium carbonater. I cannot tell what it is, but it is very unlikey to work as claimed. Stick to the kalkwasser, baking soda, and liquid calcium. :)

blueregaltang
12/14/2011, 07:43 PM
No
No
Yes
I don't have the pro test kits

Then I suggest you get them as these will give you more accurate and reliable results. If you prefer you can get ELOS test kits or Salifert, to reliable and well reputed brands. Please remember that what you cannot measure you cannot control, so the more precise the test kit is, the more and better you can control water parameters.