PDA

View Full Version : Kalk/Ca/Mg testing kits

Reef Doctor
12/13/2011, 02:43 PM
Is there a testing kit brand better than the others? I was looking at Salifert or API (Aquatic Pharmaceuticals)?

bertoni
12/13/2011, 11:50 PM
There are good and bad reports about basically every brand. Both those choices should be reasonable. I have used the Salifert kits a lot and they have been okay for me, but others have had problems from time to time.

Sport507
12/14/2011, 02:46 PM
I started with API then switched to Salifert. Now I use the Hanna checker Alk & Cal just for the ease of use. I think either would work fine. Between the API and Salifert I think the Salifert is easier to use.

FIREFISHPAT
12/16/2011, 09:53 PM
I heard the Red Sea came out with new kits. Heard only good things.

C0rp
12/16/2011, 10:05 PM
Im using the new red sea tests and like them a lot. Easy to use and well put together. I bought the Ca/ALK/Mg kit. The good news is, after you buy the initial kit, you only have to buy refill kits which are much cheaper than buying a new salifert alk kit for example!

tmz
12/16/2011, 10:27 PM
I use the Salifert kits for alk, calcium and magnesium. The red sea kits for potassium, iron and iodine are rlatively easy to read but most folks don't need to test for those.

shaggss
12/17/2011, 05:47 AM
I use Hanna for Ca Alk and PO4. Lots of talk about these ATM. Some negative but for me they work nicely. Salifert for Mg and La Motte for NO3.

I back up Alk with La Motte and Ca with Salifert occasionally.

laxman5
12/17/2011, 11:44 AM
The red sea 3 pack is great, easy instructions with a titration device (holds the glass test tube and the reagent while dosing). This allows you to swirl and dose with one hand. Just MAKE sure that you read the instuctions on where to read your levels on the plastic measuring syringe. There is supposed to be a air pocket which comps for the plastic tip.