PDA

View Full Version : Frag Tank Water Quality for zoas

OneReef
12/14/2011, 11:12 AM
I have a 25g cube tank that I am using for a frag tank to grow out zoanthids. Found a great deal on an LED pendant, so that is my light. I have a Vortech MP10 on it for circulation, an AquaClear hang on filter with a sponge, carbon, and Seachem Matrix in it. I also have on it a small JBJ nano skimmer that doesn't do much, but it helps a little.

Anyways, my question is on water quality and zoas, and maybe a few LPS pieces. I want to feed heavy to get them to grow as fast as possible. I know zoas can like a little dirtier water than say SPS. What do I need to be concerned about with phosphates, nitrates, and ammonia, when it comes to zoanthids? No fish in it, just a few snails and hermits crabs that keep all my frag plugs clean. How dirty can I let the water get as far as the levels that I mentioned, and get good growth, but not let it get to the point of harmful levels for the zoas? Anyone got any personal feedback on this? thanks

Po Sei Don
12/15/2011, 09:55 AM
No ammonia period. Nitrates might not be a problem, but I would test for a few days in a row to see the amount of feeding and how it affects the levels. Phosphates shouldn't be too much of a problem. Any live rock in there? Worst comes to worst, a phoszorb will work wonders.