PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide where to locate tank...

Reef Developer
12/14/2011, 03:32 PM
I have a custom acrylic tank and stand I'm ready to get going. I have two places (below) and really can't decide. Its making me delay setting it up because I see the pros/cons of both. PLEASE, feedback strongly needed. ;)

Main Level (entryway)
This area is on the main level, and sees' the most traffic, so tank will be appreciated the most. Only downfalls are;

- Since its in the entryway its slightly more prone to "damage" during daily use and future furniture moves etc...
- Put in a new wood floor recently. No matter how careful you are "stuff happens" and I'm just a little paranoid (side note; had an undersink water filter crack last winter causing $$$ damage....hence the new floor...water is odd and unforgiving).

Family Room
Family room is downstairs, doesn't see as much use. But would still walk by everyday and be able to see the tank from upstairs (we have a half split level). IF there's ever a leak it would be a lot less of an issue. It would also be easier to work on the tank here and run water lines.

SO, I want option #1 because the tank will be seen more, but option #2 for peace of mind.

Help.

thegrun
12/14/2011, 03:40 PM
I like to sit and read by my tank or just sit and stare at it so having a nice comfortable chair or couch near the tank is important to me. The entry way may not accommodate that. I've had tanks on our wood floors for 8 years now without any issues, but the water damage danger does exist.

Reef Developer
12/14/2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah, being able to sit by the tank is ideal. Even though we don't use the downstairs family room as much, doesn't mean we can't or won't in the future. So +1 for the downstairs.

albano
12/14/2011, 04:32 PM
Family room is downstairs, doesn't see as much use.
-1 for entryway...do you really want to stand there, to enjoy the tank...
+2 for Family room..."build it and they will come!"

Agu
12/14/2011, 05:00 PM
Family room, if you end up hanging out there by yourself that doesn't sound bad to me. ;)

Indymann99
12/14/2011, 05:08 PM
+1 on the downstairs family room.

Finished basement - I dont know if I watch TV or the tank more.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/Basement52009.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/MixRoom.jpg

Palting
12/14/2011, 05:09 PM
-1 for entryway...do you really want to stand there, to enjoy the tank...
+2 for Family room..."build it and they will come!"

LOL!!! Albano is right. I have my tank in the finished basement. The basement was a playroom for the babies we had, but as the kids are grown, didn't see much traffic. All that changed when the tank got situated. I placed my old "bachelor" recliner (cheap leather and battered) in front of the tank and usually fall asleep in it. There is also and old and battered leather sofa off to the side of the tank. Wife found out the the hum of the tank fan lights and the gentle muted burbling of the drains was very relaxing, so she would also fall asleep in that sofa. When the kids come home, they go straight to the basement. It now functions as a second "family room".

dzfish17
12/14/2011, 05:53 PM
Another vote for the family room. The tank has to be in a spot where you can sit and relax. I just added a 65" plasma to the living room so now I can stare at the tank and watch the big game at the same time... Im never leaving home again. :D

Meslo
12/14/2011, 06:09 PM
in the room you spend the most time so you can enjoy it more

Reef Developer
12/14/2011, 06:23 PM
Wow, thanks for the good feedback, sounds like its the family room.

Rockys_Pride
12/14/2011, 06:32 PM
Downstairs, with less traffic. If you get a shy fish, he'll be more likely to come out more with less going on.

Reef Developer
12/14/2011, 06:41 PM
LOL!!! Albano is right. I have my tank in the finished basement. The basement was a playroom for the babies we had, but as the kids are grown, didn't see much traffic. All that changed when the tank got situated. I placed my old "bachelor" recliner (cheap leather and battered) in front of the tank and usually fall asleep in it. There is also and old and battered leather sofa off to the side of the tank. Wife found out the the hum of the tank fan lights and the gentle muted burbling of the drains was very relaxing, so she would also fall asleep in that sofa. When the kids come home, they go straight to the basement. It now functions as a second "family room".

We're in the same boat, have two young ones, the upstairs living room gets more use, but would like to see the downstairs family room get more use. Like albano said, "build it and they will come"!

Another vote for the family room. The tank has to be in a spot where you can sit and relax. I just added a 65" plasma to the living room so now I can stare at the tank and watch the big game at the same time... Im never leaving home again. :D

We have an older, 42" plasma. Maybe its time we upgrade the room and get a bigger flatscreen too. Hmmm.

scapes
12/14/2011, 06:46 PM
I say build two!!!

I like to sit and watch my tank but I've always wanted one right by the front door for all to see

harleychic
12/14/2011, 08:37 PM
I used to live in an older Victorian-style home. The entire third floor was one gigantic room without much appeal. I put my reef tank up there, and used the tank as a partial room divider. I put a comfy chair with an ottoman by my tank, and basically that huge living area became the hub of my home. It turned into my living room and entertaining area, I ended up putting a bar up there. It doesn't matter where you put it, as long as you realize you'll be spending countless hours there.

RubberFrog
12/14/2011, 09:01 PM
I'm in agreement with above.

I'd like to add that entryways. An experience large and sudden temperature changes. I don't know where you're at, but where I am my entryway gets blasts of 30* air on a regular basis all winter long, and 90(+)* air all summer. Not good for the tank for sure.