PDA

View Full Version : Need heater recommendation

vader88
12/14/2011, 06:28 PM
Recently had my heaters fail on me and lost some livestock because tank temp dropped down to 72 degrees. Yellow Tang which looked like it just froze to death and a Sailfin Tang which contracted ich, guessing the stress and lowered immune system brought it out. The naso, clowns, chromis , gobies and corals all seem fine so far. Here is the equipment list as I have it set up right now

125g with 20 gallon sump volume
2 250 watt Finnex HPS Digital Heaters
ReefKeeper 2 controlling heaters

The heaters are set to maintain 78 F and the RK2 shuts them off if they get above 81 F. Here is what I noticed after the losses.

The RK2 showed both outlets to the heaters were powered
The heater lights indicated they were receiving power
The light was green on heater indicating power, but not red showing it is heating.

I raised the temp on the heater trying to get them to come on, but they would not turn on. I then shut the outlet off via the RK2 and turned back on and the heaters turned on immediately and starting heating the water.

I'm thinking the controller is fine, but something internally with the heaters is failing, just strange that both heaters failed exactly at the same time.

Anyone have a idea what happened here and also please recommend a heater/ temp controller combo. I'd prefer to stay away from finnex and marineland heaters.

Thanks

ReefHoboBum
12/14/2011, 06:49 PM
If you are using a controller to control the heaters, you can have them turned on above 81F. From your description, it does sound like the heaters failed.

vader88
12/15/2011, 11:50 AM
bump....

also I'm considering the JBJ True Temp....any opinions ?

sporto0
12/15/2011, 01:07 PM
Ebo Jager heaters & Ranco controllers are what I use, they have been stellar perfomers. I have no good guess for what happened to your system, although I doubt seriously both heaters malfunctioned at the same time. I only use my controller for the Heaters in my tank & I still prefer the glass heater, no titanium, no stealth.

MarineSniper
12/15/2011, 01:11 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23735

I picked one of these up because I didn't want to drop a bundle when I'll eventually have a total system controller. For $40, it has done a great job. There are 3 plugs for heaters and keeps it at a consistent 26 degrees Celsius. I've only had it for 6 months but I also use the Via Aqua titanium heaters so they also have a separate temp probe. I set them at 80 so even if the controller goes awry, the heater won't overheat the tank. The only potential problem is the water getting too cold, if the controller malfunctions but there's that danger with them all

If you're looking for an inexpensive unit, I'd recommend it. If you're at the point where you want a total system controller like an Apex, that's another story. In regard to just heaters, the Via Aqua work very well and hold the temperature very stable

Chris27
12/15/2011, 01:28 PM
Did you perhaps have an issue with the ports on the Reefkeeper? The newer models from Digital Aquatics have issues with the non-relay ports on the power bar, perhaps you experienced something similar.

The common point between the two heaters is the controller, so that would be where I would start looking. I too agree that it's awful hard to believe that two heaters failed at the same point.

aleonn
12/15/2011, 01:51 PM
I don't know much about the RK controllers, but do you have your firmware updated? When I first got my Apex, the old firmware led to random failures until I updated.

If you do change heaters, the Eheim Jagers are considered reliable (although no heater is 100% safe).

dlp211
12/15/2011, 02:13 PM
I had 3 finnex heaters with the external temp probe, 2 of them failed. I have since switched to all eheim jager heaters.

I personally will not recommend or purchase finnex heaters going forward.

seapug
12/15/2011, 02:15 PM
Eheim Ebo Jager. Cheaper than most and 1000 X more reliable.

vader88
12/15/2011, 04:07 PM
That's where I confused at. Even if the RK2 failed, why did it still have power to the heaters ? Although the heaters never acted like they knew the temperature and turn the element on.

sslak
12/15/2011, 04:30 PM
Jager Heaters - nothing else.

Use those in conjunction with a controller like a ReefKeeper or a Ranco

Are you sure both heaters failed? Is it possible that only one failed, and the other was just not enough to keep the tank warm alone?
I would put my blame on the heaters over the RK2 for sure...even if the RK2 failed, there shouldn't be power to those outlets.

vader88
12/15/2011, 05:41 PM
Jager Heaters - nothing else.

Use those in conjunction with a controller like a ReefKeeper or a Ranco

Are you sure both heaters failed? Is it possible that only one failed, and the other was just not enough to keep the tank warm alone?
I would put my blame on the heaters over the RK2 for sure...even if the RK2 failed, there shouldn't be power to those outlets.

The heaters display the temperature they are supposed to keep the tank at. One was set at 77, the other at 78 ( their calibration was slightly off ).

When it has power, it displays a green light
when it is heating the tank, it has a red light

Both heaters showed green lights and no red. That is why I'm leaning towards the heaters. Maybe one heater failed, the other tried to keep up and failed, doubtful, but the only idea I have. I have a couple 200 watt jager's from my last tank, so I may toss those in.