PDA

View Full Version : Lamarck's angelfish

btkrausen
12/15/2011, 01:55 PM
Just curious on the behavior that people have experienced with this angel. LiveAquaria says it will chase around fairy/flasher wrasses and wonder if anyone has experienced that.

Moort82
12/15/2011, 04:01 PM
I've had mine for nearly 2 years now and it's a model citizen. I haven't mixed it with fairy or flasher wrasse but it shows no signs of aggression towards my iridis wrasse, even though the male angel is more than twice the size. The only time i have seen an issue, and it wasn't really a problem, was when i added my midas blenny. I actually think it was the blenny showing slight aggression and it was just flaring its fins a little. I guess this is because they are both planktovores.
But i wouldn't hesitate to get another.

btkrausen
12/15/2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks. My tank is full of wrasses but also other fish as well including a Bellus Angel who is a model citizen so far. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed with the Lamarks in which I plan to get a female as well. The pic of this guy had decent streamers coming off of him.

albano
12/15/2011, 05:39 PM
had no problem with my Lamarcks pair with over 20 fairy/flashers...however, the male Lamarck (which started out as a small female) grew fast and dominated my other genicanthus angels, causing the male Bellus and Zebra to revert back to Females!

btkrausen
12/15/2011, 07:15 PM
had no problem with my Lamarcks pair with over 20 fairy/flashers...however, the male Lamarck (which started out as a small female) grew fast and dominated my other genicanthus angels, causing the male Bellus and Zebra to revert back to Females!

Thanks man. My only angel right now is a female Bellus I got from LADD a few weeks ago, although I do plan to get another of the Bellus and Lamarks eventually. Also thinking about the Wantanabei as well.

Are you feeding anything special to your angels that I should start looking at? Anybody use the AngeLixer from Brghtwell or something similar?

Moort82
12/16/2011, 03:45 PM
I don't feed my Lamarks anything special. I haven't seen AngeLixer before but a quick google says its a sponge mimic. As genicanthus angels are omnivors/planktivors then i don't see the need for this in their diet. They do fine on foods like krill and mysis but being onmivores as well appreciate some algae and pretty much anything you add. Mine will take pellets and flake out of your hand but goes crazy for DD reef paste.

progman2000
12/16/2011, 03:57 PM
I bought a beautiful 5" inch male several months ago. After being in the tank for several days he started picking at all my LPS. I think he was only feeding from the mucus they were secreting, but I'm sure he would have ended up killing them if I left him in there. I feed my tank heavy and he was a glutton so I know it wasn't that he was starving. So that "reef safe" fish was sent packing to the LFS. Just another example of "it depends on the fish"... Bummer, he was a beauty.

btkrausen
12/16/2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys. My tank is fish only right now so I'm not worried about corals and such. He came in today and is looking good. Already eating Mysis

aleonn
12/17/2011, 01:41 PM
The short time I had a Larmark's, there were no problems with him chasing any wrasses. However, my female bellus angel chases wrasses that get in her way from time to time, but nothing serious.

reefjunkie42
12/17/2011, 08:57 PM
in my experience with genicanthus,( i have a wantanabei female, trio of masked swallowtails, and a female bellus) they seem to get along with faires. If anything they chase eachother more. IMHO the hardest to keep is the wantanabei, she is just plain skiddish , and often afraid of her own shadow. I havent had a lamarck, but i know they are among some of the largest of the genus and can become territorial to other genicanthus

aquaph8
12/17/2011, 10:49 PM
No problems here either.

btkrausen
12/18/2011, 09:02 PM
Quikc update on the new guy in quarantine:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o152/btkrausen/DSC_3321.jpg

(female Cirrhilabrus balteatus in foreground)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o152/btkrausen/DSC_3329.jpg

albano
12/18/2011, 10:24 PM
Quikc update on the new guy in quarantine:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o152/btkrausen/DSC_3321.jpg

IMO...you mean "update on the new girl in quarantine"

btkrausen
12/19/2011, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I started thinking that as well. The picture on the site had a specimen that had much longer streamers making me think I was getting a male but it turns out it was a stock photo instead.

albano
12/19/2011, 08:37 AM
it's not the 'streamers'...its that top stripe, from the eye, that curves down and goes down to the bottom of the tail fin. On a male the stripe goes straight back, does not curve down...if you get/have other smaller female genicanthus angels, it should turn male

MBVette
12/19/2011, 08:56 AM
Do they pick on corals?

btkrausen
12/19/2011, 12:06 PM
it's not the 'streamers'...its that top stripe, from the eye, that curves down and goes down to the bottom of the tail fin. On a male the stripe goes straight back, does not curve down...if you get/have other smaller female genicanthus angels, it should turn male

Cool, thanks Alfie. Angels are still a very new subject for me. I have a female Bellus in the DT but thats as far as angels go. I do plan to pick up a male or female of both so I can 'hopefully' pair them up and have one of each species turn male.

AfricaOffroad
12/19/2011, 12:12 PM
My Lamark picked on my LPS.
By contrast my bellus and swallowtail have been model citizens.

Outerbank
12/19/2011, 10:41 PM
Man I miss my lamark. I gave her--->him away when I moved 5 years ago. They are awesome fish and beautiful. Pictures and the small amateurs do them no justice. They grow into beautiful active fish.

CoralBeautyII
06/04/2014, 01:40 PM
I know its an old post, but my Lamark has been picking at my LPS as well. He's about to finish off a once huge healthy open brain :(
All my other Lamarks angels were fine, no problem, but this lil squirt is a PITA!

SDguy
06/04/2014, 04:24 PM
Do a search on this forum. From everything I've read, the lamark is the worst of the geni's when it comes to reef safeness.