PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor or dosing ?? Help

bowhunter42
12/15/2011, 02:12 PM
I have a pretty heavily stocked mixed 125 tall and currently use dowflake calcium chloride and dose every 3 hours for almost 3min. As I have increased my bio load my need for more calcium has increased .
Before I was able to maintain calc. Around 430 now with the increase over time of load I can't get above 330 ??
If I switched to a calcium reactor would this put a "richer " calcium in the system therefore increasing my calc. Level ? I have never used a calcium reactor but have heard a lot of benefits with them ?
Opinions please ??
Thanks much

tkeracer619
12/16/2011, 01:16 AM
What is your magnesium at? dkh? If your mag is low you wont be able to get the calcium up.

Do you use kalkwasser in your top off? Might consider trying this as the investment is non existent.

A calcium reactor is great as long as you have a good setup. The aquariumplants.com electronic regulator is a must.

r-balljunkie
12/16/2011, 01:33 AM
What is your magnesium at? dkh? If your mag is low you wont be able to get the calcium up.

Do you use kalkwasser in your top off? Might consider trying this as the investment is non existent.

A calcium reactor is great as long as you have a good setup. The aquariumplants.com electronic regulator is a must.

+1

calcium reactors can be finicky top set up, expect a 500-800 initial investment for the reactor, tank, controller, extra ph monitor etc. running a kalk reactor, tied into your ATO is good enough to support a well stocked tank.

caliking
12/16/2011, 01:57 AM
Dosing.

doctorgori
12/16/2011, 02:17 AM
just tossing some thought around but....

2 BRS dosers $160-180
1 RKL or Apex Jr $150
Randy's 2part $negligible

For about $300 you got a very reliable, flexible and easily adjustable means of maintaining params vs a CO2 bottle, reactor, et .... I'm sure once set up both are doable but IMO when you combine the hands off automation of a controller with the alerting capabilities, I'd say a dosing/controller combo appears superior

James77
12/16/2011, 06:58 AM
I have done years of each, and I greatly prefer dosing. In the years of dosing I have done, I have never had a catastrophic or near so accident or error. Much easier to dial in with calculators to determine how much to dose. IMO it is cheaper rising, even on fairly large tanks since the materials can be bought in 5 gallon bulk with free shipping. Mixing takes me 15 minutes max every few months and is other wise plug and play. Need more alk/calc? Add a couple minutes.

Compare that to reactors, which I've had more problems than I can count. Most have been some stupid smidge of debris clogging the effluent and dropping the alkalinity quite a bit before being noticed. I've had co2 dumps with lower quality regulators that have killed expensive fish. If you do go reactor, spend the money on quality reactors like aquarium plants.

Whip316
12/16/2011, 08:19 AM
i did both as well and i wasn't as diligent to dose every day and my corals suffered for it. i broke down and bought a Ca reactor and it was the best option for a lazy reefer who didnt want to dose every day.
only downfall with a reactor is you need to keep up on the monthly maintenance and clean all the tubing etc. you have dissolved minerals and they do collect and cause trouble. if your diligent and check it often and buy quality items, then your gonna be in good shape for a long time. dont cheap on a regulator either. my regulator crapped out but i had my RKE email me when my Ph went out of whack from the solenoid sticking cause i cheaped out on the regulator. other than that, my reactor ran perfect.i noticed the change in a week of my corals doing better from switching.

if you put in Mg in your reactor along with the argonite it will help keep your Mg levels up in order to balance the alk and Ca to keep them rock solid. also use a good coarse argonite. I used brightwell Ca and Mg in my reactor.

sirreal63
12/16/2011, 10:08 AM

This is the key here.

blakers82
12/16/2011, 12:53 PM
I run a calcium reactor on a fairly well stocked 150gal. I also drip Kalk at night from my ATO reservoir. Kalkwasser top-off (drip, of course) is a great thing! If I were you, I would buy 2 more dosing pumps and timers, make your cal, alk, mag solutions, and tweak for a week or two to get levels right...and be done with it. :)