PDA

View Full Version : hey guys

aperry2728
12/15/2011, 04:19 PM
just noticed this area for newbies like myself. Ive actually been doing this off and on for about 3 years now. but i feel my knowledge level is that of a newbie.

I am starting up my 37 gallon aquarium again. really having trouble with picking a new light. the last one was a piece of crap and i didn't even notice any difference. I want a light that will give me coral growth and look really cool. I was thinking about t5 and it seems the ati is a good brand. But i dont have a canopy or place to hang the light from. what would be a good suggestion for a light.

mjhall85
12/15/2011, 04:23 PM
Is your tank rimless? Cause the vast majority of fixtures will come with legs so it sets above the tank(not sure if the plastic legs would do any damage if just sitting on glass) or you could always get a hanging kit. I think you would be fine with a 4 bulb T5 fixture how deep of a tank is it? You can always go with a led fixture as well just depends on what your budget is for lighting

aperry2728
12/15/2011, 04:23 PM
from what i gathered, I should be getting a light with individual reflectors and 6 bulbs. Also i should go with a high quality brand like ati and i heard tek was good too.

i also heard some people like metal halide, what would a good option be there as well?

btw my budget is 500 max including bulbs and ballasts.

Is it better to buy a fixture with a ballast already built inside or is it better to by a ballast seperate to the fixture? these are all things i am naive to.

aperry2728
12/15/2011, 04:28 PM
Is your tank rimless? Cause the vast majority of fixtures will come with legs so it sets above the tank(not sure if the plastic legs would do any damage if just sitting on glass) or you could always get a hanging kit. I think you would be fine with a 4 bulb T5 fixture how deep of a tank is it? You can always go with a led fixture as well just depends on what your budget is for lighting

i dont think it is rimless because it has plastic along the rim. it is 30 inches in height by 24 length and a bowed front.

mjhall85
12/15/2011, 04:29 PM
gotcha, You could do a 6 bulb fixture as well. I run a T5 4 bulb over my 65gallon and everything grows great its just a hair over 26inches tall.

aperry2728
12/15/2011, 04:32 PM
oops sorry about that. i meant 25" in height. and 24" in length 15 in width. I think the ati doesnt come with legs at all.

seapug
12/15/2011, 04:36 PM
from what i gathered, I should be getting a light with individual reflectors and 6 bulbs. Also i should go with a high quality brand like ati and i heard tek was good too.

i also heard some people like metal halide, what would a good option be there as well?

btw my budget is 500 max including bulbs and ballasts.

Is it better to buy a fixture with a ballast already built inside or is it better to by a ballast seperate to the fixture? these are all things i am naive to.

T5 and MH are great, but if you could bump that light budget up to $800 or so you could make up the extra cost over time in reduced power consumption and no bulb replacement by going with a new high end LED system. Definitely what I would do if I was starting a 37 gallon right now.

aperry2728
12/15/2011, 04:36 PM
does the brand name make a huge difference in quality? I have a 500 budget, don't want to get anything too cheesy, but if i could save some money i wouldn't mind that as well and will have an easier time convincing the wife.

mjhall85
12/15/2011, 04:37 PM
Yes forgot ATI doesn't make legs for their fixtures.You could run a 4 bulb T5 and be perfectly fine. You could get a hanging kit for the fixture and hang from the ceiling or if you have a vaulted ceiling could do it from the wall.

mjhall85
12/15/2011, 04:38 PM
T5 and MH are great, but if you could bump that light budget up to $800 or so you could make up the extra cost over time in reduced power consumption and no bulb replacement by going with a new high end LED system. Definitely what I would do if I was starting a 37 gallon right now.

What I have learned in this hobby you truly get what you pay for. If you buy cheap no name stuff it does not last very long that is just my personal experience thus far.

aperry2728
12/15/2011, 04:42 PM
lol the last one i bought was 80 bucks no wonder why it was such a pile of !@^&!! i just don't think i can go to 800 i think i have to stick around the 500 range. Is LED that much better?

mjhall85
12/15/2011, 04:44 PM
Check out your local forums and see if anyone is selling a fixture that will fit your tank. also a great way to meet local reefers

aperry2728
12/15/2011, 04:50 PM
thanks guys.

seapug
12/15/2011, 05:16 PM
lol the last one i bought was 80 bucks no wonder why it was such a pile of !@^&!! i just don't think i can go to 800 i think i have to stick around the 500 range. Is LED that much better?

Some of the new high end LED fixtures give you complete control over the spectrum and are more than strong enough to grow any coral you'd put in a 37 gallon tank. They are also quieter, sleeker, make less heat and consume a fraction of the amount of power as T5 and MH. Between bulb replacement costs and power consumption, you'll probably spend at least $300 more in running costs on MH or T5 within the first year or two than you would with LED.

aperry2728
12/15/2011, 05:25 PM
what are some good makes and models to look at for LED's

mjhall85
12/15/2011, 05:48 PM
AI sols always get great reviews. They are not that cheap but look great on tanks