PDA

View Full Version : Noobs and coral?

GubbleBuppy
12/15/2011, 08:57 PM
How long should one wait to put coral in a tank? Being that all readings are good and it's a new build after LR and fish as well.

greech
12/15/2011, 09:00 PM
If your fish are doing well, corals should be fine. Corals were easier than fish for me in the beginning as each fish I added seemed to put a larger demand on my system. This was my experience anyway.

oblongshrimp
12/15/2011, 09:01 PM
I am interested in peoples thoughts on this.

Agentbaj
12/15/2011, 09:14 PM
Same here, I'm looking to add some green star polyps and a frag of zoas for xmas.

DrSalty
12/15/2011, 09:32 PM
Hey Agentbaj. I feel like star polyps and zoas are very hardy - very easy to keep. I don't think you'd have trouble starting with them if you tank is cycled.

kingfisher62
12/15/2011, 09:37 PM
All I am going to say is to start with an inexpensive coral to test the waters and see how it does.

Thisseemsfishy
12/15/2011, 09:46 PM
Make sure your Ca and Alk are up to par, these do not effect fish, but have much to do with coral. Also, what kind of lighting do you have?

h2ocrazy
12/15/2011, 10:42 PM
+1 with greech and Thisseemsfishy. Although the Ca and Alk has more effect on LPS and SPS. Softcorals will do fine with regular water changes and can deal better with Ca and Alk changes. The one recommendation I can make to anyone starting with corals is dipping for parasites. I personally use the Tropic Marin Pro Coral cure, but there are various other medications and home made methods out there. Dipping is especially important when dealing with SPS and Zoanthids in my experience.

ReeferHead84
12/16/2011, 12:01 AM
How long should one wait to put coral in a tank? Being that all readings are good and it's a new build after LR and fish as well.

Just as long as the water test is good and you have enough light. :dance:

tkeracer619
12/16/2011, 12:16 AM
Once you have flow, lighting, good parameters, have a basic understanding of husbandry, dosing, and patience.

Impulse buys are a no go.

Research any and everything.

Do you know what to look for as far as pests? Aptasia, asternia stars, corals that grow like weeds and take over, nudis, flatworms. You name it they exist. At minimum dip corals. Research each corals dip and go over the coral with a magnifying glass looking for stuff.

You don't need stuff to come in on your coral. You have plenty of stuff if you have live rock.