PDA

View Full Version : Curing Dry Rock (pukani)

Danzig
12/15/2011, 11:00 PM
I have about 30 pounds of fiji and 30 pounds of pukani dry rock i ordered from Bulk Reef Supply. I know that they have a problem of leeching phospate into the water, so i have a question. Can i just drop all the rock into my DT and just cycle/cure it all in my DT? Will the phosphates just leech into the water and eventually go away?

Or should i put them in a storage tote of freshwater for a month with heat/powerhead then dump the water (and the phosphate go out with the water)? I dont want to use lanthium chloride.

Has anyone dropped this much of the dry rock in their DT and not had a problem with phosphates?

tkeracer619
12/16/2011, 12:09 AM
Don't drop into your tank. Put in a tub with a few pieces of live rock, heater, and power head. Change the water every other week. 100% change. Keep a lid on the container. You want it dark.

Use the rock when the water remains clear and tests zero nitrates and phosphates. I would go at least a month. I have about 100lbs that has been going for 3 months now.

D-Nak
12/16/2011, 12:21 AM
I ordered dry rock from BRS and it was a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. I placed about 50 pounds in a 120 gallon and cycled the new tank for about a month. I ran a GFO reactor and have a fuge full of chaeto to combat any phosphate. I had a small algae bloom but it quickly went away -- typical new tank cycling stuff.

Is this tank that you're adding the rock to a new tank or established tank? The only reason I ask is because Pukani rock goes a looooong way in terms of pounds per actual space it takes up since it's to porous. Are you planning to put it on the 72 bow in your sig?

If it's going in your established DT, what's in it right now? If hardy coral, they might able able to make it through any phosphate spikes. You'll probably have a big algae bloom though.

Danzig
12/16/2011, 12:35 AM
Don't drop into your tank. Put in a tub with a few pieces of live rock, heater, and power head. Change the water every other week. 100% change. Keep a lid on the container. You want it dark.

Use the rock when the water remains clear and tests zero nitrates and phosphates. I would go at least a month. I have about 100lbs that has been going for 3 months now.
Will this seed my dry rock with coraline in the process? i want coraline lol its pretty

I ordered dry rock from BRS and it was a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. I placed about 50 pounds in a 120 gallon and cycled the new tank for about a month. I ran a GFO reactor and have a fuge full of chaeto to combat any phosphate. I had a small algae bloom but it quickly went away -- typical new tank cycling stuff.

Is this tank that you're adding the rock to a new tank or established tank? The only reason I ask is because Pukani rock goes a looooong way in terms of pounds per actual space it takes up since it's to porous. Are you planning to put it on the 72 bow in your sig?

If it's going in your established DT, what's in it right now? If hardy coral, they might able able to make it through any phosphate spikes. You'll probably have a big algae bloom though.

Its a new tank not setup yet, still taking care of all the equip i need etc.

D-Nak
12/16/2011, 01:30 AM
Many people just cycle their dry rock in the DT when setting up a new system. It's no different that putting it in another container. Just follow the standard new tank cycling instructions. Like I said, my cycled in about a month.

jt_milstead
12/16/2011, 08:52 AM

Ive done something similar to this a couple times.
I start out with dry sand, and about 10 lbs of live sand from my DT, then all the dry rock im going to use, and about 10-20 lbs of established LR, with a pump and heater in a 55 gal drum. I let this all run for about 3 months. I top off every couple days, and do a WC every couple weeks. Ive had very good success without having a cycle when i set up the new tank.

Danzig
12/16/2011, 08:56 AM
Many people just cycle their dry rock in the DT when setting up a new system. It's no different that putting it in another container. Just follow the standard new tank cycling instructions. Like I said, my cycled in about a month.

Yes i know they just cure the dry rock in the DT but i dont want it leaching phosphates into my water. Then i will have algae blooms and nuisances. Im jw asking if anyone has done it with these specific rocks from BRS and not had a problem?

Danzig
12/16/2011, 09:00 AM

And this should be done with saltwater correct?

AJ1080
12/16/2011, 09:15 AM
And this should be done with saltwater correct?

You can go a couple ways.

You can use RO water and just let it sit and keep changing it out. This will not allow any coraline while its bathing but will allow the phosphate to leech out.

If you use saltwater, you can put a small piece of live rock in there and seed it as long as you constantly change the water and ghost feed it to keep the rock "live".

1SickReefer
12/16/2011, 09:23 AM
Lots of folks are using LC (lanthanum chloride) to cure pukani. It speeds up the curing process by several weeks. Works wonders to remove PO4 from the rock. Check out this thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049855&highlight=lc+chloride