PDA

View Full Version : flatworms

BryanW
12/16/2011, 12:00 PM
6 month old reef tank. Everything from this point on will be QT'd. All fish are out, and will be re-introducing them next month to rid a ich problem.

Just now starting to see some flatworms in the tank as well. What is the next course of action to get rid of these pests in the DT. I do have a bunch of SPS corals, and taking them out is not an option.

Any help would be appreciated.

homegrownREEFER
12/16/2011, 12:04 PM
What type of flatworms? Are they the red planaria?

BryanW
12/16/2011, 12:22 PM
they are tan in color with white tentacles...not really sure how to classify what type they are and they are pretty small, but seeing more and more of them.

AJ1080
12/16/2011, 07:32 PM
flatworms dont really have tentacles....Anyway you can get a pic?

If it is flatorms, I had the red planaria a couple months back. Everyday I would come home from work I would siphon out everyone I could find and also cut back on my lighting.

I did this everyday for a week and by the weekend I removed all my fish, stars, inverts, and snails and then heavily dosed Flatworm exit. I ended up depleting almost all of the brittle stars and pods. However about 3 months later I still have not seen one.

The most important thing is siphoning out as many as you can so once they die there is less toxins in the water to affect your tank.

Just have some SW and Carbon ready for when you are done.

souperman
12/16/2011, 11:27 PM
I have red planaria and dosed enough Flatworm Rx to put my snails in a coma for two days. My fish are currently in QT while the tank sits fallow for another 2 weeks. The flatworms have come back. My plan is to manage them as best I can until I can add a wrasse that will prey on them. I do not want to add any more chemicals to my tank, I felt bad about what I put my snails through. I swear my pod population has been greatly reduced too.

BryanW
12/17/2011, 01:16 AM
What is the best wrasse for the job. I relly don't like dosing a reef tank.

bruce 1
12/17/2011, 06:15 AM
Try this

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+524+2198&pcatid=2198

AJ1080
12/17/2011, 06:18 AM
I have red planaria and dosed enough Flatworm Rx to put my snails in a coma for two days. My fish are currently in QT while the tank sits fallow for another 2 weeks. The flatworms have come back. My plan is to manage them as best I can until I can add a wrasse that will prey on them. I do not want to add any more chemicals to my tank, I felt bad about what I put my snails through. I swear my pod population has been greatly reduced too.

FWE does do that when in strong doeses. My pods are pretty much non existent since I dosed.