PDA

View Full Version : Is this bryopsis???

jamesamantha
12/16/2011, 12:15 PM
Hello,

I found this picture which is the exact weed I have in my tank. This stuff has a plume (like an old time feather duster) look to it. It grows these little thin filiments that spread all over the rock. Is this a form of bryopsis? If so I am going to use the Magnesium on it.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/derekf15/Pictures213.jpg

Thanks,

James

reeftivo
12/16/2011, 12:32 PM
yep!

High mag (1600 range) will help bleach it out

or lettuce nidibranch

sea hares sometimes eat it but the one I had didn't ,so I had to give it back to my LFS before it starved.

I think the mag may be your best option because the lettuce nudis definately eat it for sure, but they always seemed to drift into my vortechs or overflow. If you try the nudi then you should turn down the flow in the display and screen your overflow.

Manual removal is tricky because you need to siphon right at the point where you try to remove it. That crap throws out spores like crazy.

I had a bout with it and had the raise my mag then ultimately had to remove some of the LR it was attached to because some stubborn areas just kept coming back.

The high mag did help alot though

Bryopsis sucks. It kind of ncie looking in patches but it will take over if not kept in check.

Good luck

Tivo

reeftivo
12/16/2011, 12:35 PM
great coralline growth by the way

shred5
12/16/2011, 12:36 PM
Yep looks like it.

jamesamantha
12/16/2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks. I will get a gallon of Kent Tech M and try to kill it.

Thanks for the input!