PDA

View Full Version : 28 nano and skimmer

JJIM
12/16/2011, 12:48 PM
How important is a skimmer for a system. I understand in large part skimming is for heavier bioloads, but I have not used one for my tank in over 2 years. Currently my fish are in a QT and will be put back in the main tank (DT) in 4 more weeks (11 weeks total in QT). I had a leak in my old 28 nano and JBJ sent me a new one prior to putting all my fish in QT. I have 6 smaller fish (yes 6), thus the bioload is a bit high and a skimmer will help reduce nitrates/ammonia? Good practice to have one?

Are you guys (the Reef Chemistry Forum) using a skimmer here regularly, and if not why not?

Here is the one I am looking at...
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_HOB_1_Hang_On_Back_Protein_Skimmer_Hang_On_Venturi_Needle_Wheel_Protein_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ1151-FIPSHONW-vi.html

bertoni
12/16/2011, 11:36 PM
There are a lot of variables involved. Many corals produce allelopathic compounds that a skimmer might remove, for example. I had a soft coral tank without a skimmer for a while. While it looked fine, some corals closed up and didn't do as well as others, even though I rand carbon. When I ran a skimmer, the change was rapid. When I took it back off for a bit, back to the original situation. I didn't do the change enough times or in a controlled enough fashion to be fully convinced of the effect, but it was dramatic.

A skimmer can provide aeration and a safety net for organic input, as well. A spawning event could become a problem more easily without a skimmer.

That said, many people run very nice tanks without skimmers.