PDA

View Full Version : Q's about cycling w/ a shrimp

nlgill13
12/17/2011, 04:04 PM
Can i put a thawed out shrimp in the sump (refuge side), or should I put one in the DT?

Also, would it be ok to put the shrimp into a bottle (cut in half)?
(the purpose being to keep the shrimp from disintegrating when i try to take it out)

Sisterlimonpot
12/17/2011, 04:14 PM
you can put it anywhere as long as you have water flow throughout the tank and sump. as far as putting it in a bottle I would suggest you drill holes in the bottle to allow water to flow through. some put it in a mesh bag so they can do the same thing. just make sure flow is adequate.

dzfish17
12/17/2011, 05:03 PM
You can also cycle a tank by ghost feeding. Just add a small pinch of flake food everyday as if you were feeding 1 or 2 small fish.

Zappo
12/17/2011, 05:19 PM
You can also cycle a tank by ghost feeding. Just add a small pinch of flake food everyday as if you were feeding 1 or 2 small fish.

I like this way. No fishing smelly rotten things out of the tank. You could also cut a small piece of the shrimp off and let it rot. Either way, you just need something to rot in the tank. It's the one time when a little pollution is a good thing.

Agu
12/17/2011, 07:13 PM

My preferred method too. There's no need to create an ammonia spike that kills off life that you paid for on your live rock.