PDA

View Full Version : Two part question

wright4941
12/18/2011, 01:20 PM
When measuring my parameters my kh has been running low 5-6, calcium 480, and magnesium 1420. My question is if I use two part to try to increase my kh do I also dose the ca part? Do they somehow workmtogether or do I just dose the buffer to increase my kh?

The other question is that my mag and ca have always tested in this range, despite the fact that I now have Sps in my tank. Shouldn't I see it decrease and why is my kh low if they are high?

Just thinking that this should have peen posted in the chemistry section, but it does feel like a newby question :)

Sisterlimonpot
12/18/2011, 01:43 PM
A questions need to be asked for clarification. Are you using sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate for alkalinity?

As far as increasing just alk, you'll can dose just that supplement to bring it to the proper level.

There can be a few reasons why you're not seeing a decrease in calc and mag... either your test kits are old and giving faulty readings, or you are replenishing what is being taken up by the corals through water changes. I would suspect the latter first, and maybe the reason why alk is so low is due to the salt mix you are using. either way, bring the alk up slowly and watch your corals tips for burning if that happens cut back on supplementing alk.

If you want to know everything possible about reef chemistry, Randy Holmes Farley has written many articles on the subject. Look for them in the reefkeeping section.

danil
12/18/2011, 01:46 PM
right check the stickies in chemistry forum.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

wright4941
12/19/2011, 01:29 PM
Im using SeaChem Reef fusion. Thanks for your guys' help. I definitely check out the stickies.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/19/2011, 04:16 PM
Unless calcium actually is already too high for your preference, always dose both parts equally based on needs for alkalinity. Calcium should then follow along just fine. :)