PDA

View Full Version : live rocking holding/ curing

anin
12/19/2011, 02:20 AM
Hey all to start off I have 50g tank that i decided to upgrade to a 75g. I have about 70lbs of live rock that i'm currently holding in a rubbermaid. I currently have just a powerhead and heater on them. I also had quite alot of nuisance algae on them and i would like to know how should i proceed to keep the rock still alive, while getting rid of the algae? I think i'll need to hold the rock for about a month before my new tank is setup. Should i add some lighting? I figured i would scrub the rocks down as much as i can to remove the algae. I also have a 20lb live rock that's been dried out since i had it out of water for a while, what is the method of returning that rock back in to the water. Thanks

Toddrtrex
12/19/2011, 10:27 AM
This might be a good time to "cook" the rocks. Search that for more details, but... basically you keep the rock in the dark, with water movement, heater, and a skimmer (( if possible )) and do frequent water changes -- this is to remove all the organics that have built up within the rocks.

anin
12/22/2011, 02:30 AM
This might be a good time to "cook" the rocks. Search that for more details, but... basically you keep the rock in the dark, with water movement, heater, and a skimmer (( if possible )) and do frequent water changes -- this is to remove all the organics that have built up within the rocks.

yeah, i was looking into this method, pretty much what i was thinking of doing. I wonder how well this method will work..

hollister
12/22/2011, 02:34 AM
Just brush off the algea with a nylon brush in a tank with fresh water. Dont kill it as its good rock and will help reduce cycle time and severity. Also a good book is worth its weight in gold.

PRDubois
12/22/2011, 02:34 AM
Do you have a lid on the rock?

anin
12/22/2011, 11:59 PM
Do you have a lid on the rock?

yes i do, should be on no?:worried: