PDA

View Full Version : Using tap water

antjtc
12/20/2011, 12:12 AM
Can I use taP wAter for my fowler setup? I live in the east bay San Francisco area. Are there chemicals I can use to reduce phosphates to minimize algae problems? Thanks

jamesbaur13
12/20/2011, 12:31 AM
You can use tap and there are medias you can put in filters and reactors to reduce phosphates.

Honestly though I'd make it a huge priority to install a RO/DI system.

Some water conditioners will have adverse effects on your water parameters. Another thing to consider is the compatibility of the water conditioners with other additives... whether it be an ammonia detoxifier or a medication. Some don't "play nice" together.

I'm not at all saying it can not be done, but it gives you more to worry about when doing so.

Rockys_Pride
12/20/2011, 12:53 AM
Kinda OT, I installed a Kold Ster-il unit to my cold side on my tap, worked great for me. Just remember to only use the cold side. The problem with a KS unit is that they are hard to come by used, and expensive new. Filters are also hard to find. Don't bother using a TDS meter on them, you'll think it's not working.

jgsteven
12/20/2011, 01:04 AM
While there are plenty of good reasons to use only RODI water that have been extensively discussed on other threads (the most scary being that sometimes cities add weird chemicals to the water, appearantly), your FOWLR should be able to remain reasonably algae free if you plan well.

Some recommendations:

1. Good filtration (skimming/dsb) to keep nitrates under control, and don't over stock or over feed. Replace carbon regularly
2. Replace a bag of phosphate sponge with every water change (I used to do this in combination with 20% monthly water changes)
3. Have as little light as it takes to make the tank okay.

When I lived in the bay area I kept two small tanks on tap water. One had Power Compact lighting, and grew algae like crazy. I finally got Xenia to out compete the algae... then it grew Xenia like crazy. Another had weaker lighting (NO flourescent) and a deep sand bed and was quite successful with minimal algae.

If you are in the East Bay, however, there are plenty of fish shops around. If you have a small tank you can just buy LFS water, or at least RO water from Safeway. If I had it to do over again this is what I would have done. (I am guessing that if you could afford a big tank, you can probably afford an RODI) The thought my tank dying because the stupid city was cleaning their pipes is pretty scary.