PDA

View Full Version : Sump suggestions for 90 gallon DT

spankdog
12/20/2011, 01:52 AM
I am currently planning a new tank build with a 90 gallon conerflo tank. The inside of the stand is 47"x16"x31". I am considering two different sumps, one that is 36" long and the other is 30". They both have room for my skimmer so is it worth getting the bigger sump or having some extra room in the stand for reactors or a top off tank etc? The two sumps I am looking at are the Trigger Systems ruby36s and ruby30s.
Thanks

GrimReefer82
12/20/2011, 02:24 AM
I would go with the 30" so you will have some room for other equipment like a canister, light timers, power strips or pumps. You never know what you may want to add in the future. I have a 36" tank under my 6ft DT and I need more room.

jamesbaur13
12/20/2011, 02:28 AM
You need to give more details about the system and about the sump before anyone can advise you one way or the other.

spankdog
12/20/2011, 12:30 PM
More details about the tank....

Low bioload at the begnining (transfering from a 30 gallon)
50Lbs rock from marcorocks, probably adding more
Planning on getting the SRO-1000int or maybe the 2000
Sicce Syncra 4.0 return pump or possibly an Eheim or Tunze
The 30" sump operates with around 18.1 gallons of water and the 36" is 23.4 gallons.

thanks

GrimReefer82
12/23/2011, 05:20 PM
I would give up the 5 gallons of water volume and save some room for other things in the future. 5 gal. of water will make minimal impact on your setup (or almost any setup for that matter). Obviously it would be a huge impact in a nano.

Bens_Reef
12/23/2011, 05:28 PM
I would give up the 5 gallons of water volume and save some room for other things in the future. 5 gal. of water will make minimal impact on your setup (or almost any setup for that matter). Obviously it would be a huge impact in a nano.

+1, i have a 36" stand and a 30" sump, not nearly enough room. have you explored other options for your sump like in another room or in the basement. ive seen people run the plumbing through walls and floors. if i had a larger tank like yourself i would have mine in the basement and leave the room underneath for control measures

gatorchem
12/23/2011, 05:31 PM
I run a standard 29g tank as my sump. Works great for me and is only $29 at PETCO during their dollar gallon sales.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

scarface70706
12/24/2011, 12:51 AM
just use one sump that can fit in your stand but leave some room for a ATO system, reactors, etc. i use a 25 gallon sump under my 90 gallon system and i have enough room for my ATO, duel reactor, and electrical strips. if you use all the room in the stand you will have equipment sitting on the out side of the stand unless you have another stand to hide it. Also if you ran two sumps that means you might need additional equipment that you really dont need like extra pumps. keep it simple and draw out what you want and go on from there but i think its best to have some room to atleast stick a 5 gallon jug next to the sump for an ATO system

spankdog
12/24/2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys I am going to go with the 30" sump and I think it should leave me enough space for ato and other things inside the stand. I do have a basement directly below the tank but at this point I am not going to consider putting the sump down there.