PDA

View Full Version : keeping an individual clownfish

j86miu
12/20/2011, 11:08 AM
Hi,

I remember reading that the Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish were good for keeping them individually and don't need to be paired up in a tank.

I was wondering if this also applied to the regular Ocellaris Clownfish. Does anybody have any experience with keeping just one of these fish with other non-clown fish. Also do these fish needs corals/anemones or will they be ok in a FOWLR system?

seapug
12/20/2011, 11:47 AM
All clownfish can be kept as individuals and don't require a host anemone to survive in captivity.

thebkramer
12/20/2011, 11:49 AM
seapug.. LOVE the name!!! :bounce3:

I agree too!!!
I have a pair of clowns.. had about a year now? and they have NEVER associated with my anemone lol which is totally fine by me!! I'd rather they didn't.. they are much more active outside of the nem IMO.. plus I don't think my porcelain would be too happy if they decided to move in :sad2:

Toddrtrex
12/20/2011, 12:03 PM
Things might actually be a bit easier with just a single clown.

When a pair of clowns start to spawn, they become more aggressive, add an anemone to that mix and that aggressiveness will increase even more.

jong11
12/20/2011, 02:13 PM
If you have a single clown, it will eventually become female. This may complicate things if you decide to have a pair in the future.

Chris27
12/20/2011, 03:13 PM
Things might actually be a bit easier with just a single clown.

When a pair of clowns start to spawn, they become more aggressive, add an anemone to that mix and that aggressiveness will increase even more.

+1000

A single clownfish without a mate or anemone will most always be a model tank citizen.... Depending on the tank size, all hell can break loose when you add another.

Stercus Accidit
12/20/2011, 05:14 PM
I've held a single B&W for months now and I couldn't ask for a better fish. Has a great personality and when I started adding more fish he didn't even blink.

foxriverat
12/21/2011, 12:45 PM
Ive had a single clown for a year now. He is pretty boring. Stays in the right rear upper corner. I added 3 blue yellow damsels a month ago. He swims around a little more now. I would think adding a pair or 1 with a host anemone would give you more activity in your tank.

seapug
12/21/2011, 01:34 PM
If you have a single clown, it will eventually become female. This may complicate things if you decide to have a pair in the future.

This is the scenario you want. If you have one clownfish and want to make a pair, the new one you introduce should be smaller than the existing clown. The existing dominant clown will remain female and the smaller one you introduce will become the submissive male. The ladies are in charge in clownfish land.

Sugar Magnolia
12/21/2011, 06:14 PM
My single female misbar perc has been alone her whole life, about 5 or 6 years now. She's very docile and won't go after me even when I am near her nem. I can cup her in my hand. Definitely not like my single clarkii I kept 8 years or so ago. She was pure evil and drew blood from time to time.

dzfish17
12/21/2011, 08:01 PM
My single female misbar perc has been alone her whole life, about 5 or 6 years now. She's very docile and won't go after me even when I am near her nem. I can cup her in my hand. Definitely not like my single clarkii I kept 8 years or so ago. She was pure evil and drew blood from time to time.

Talk about evil... I have a 4 1/2" female maroon that is as nasty as they come.

SneakyPete
12/21/2011, 08:35 PM
The ladies are in charge.

Fixed your post.