PDA

View Full Version : My Fish are eating eachother!

MBWannaBee
12/20/2011, 04:26 PM
Ok, so I bought a firefish goby the other day at the fish store. I already had a coral beauty and a Yellowtail blue damsel. The damsel has been munching on the coral beauty and the firefish ever since I added the new fish. I've tried to rearrange the rock but the little guy wont stop attacking the other fish. Any advice on how to stop the fighting?

Dustin1300
12/20/2011, 04:46 PM
Get rid of the damsel....They are very aggressive and not worth keeping IMO.

reeftivo
12/20/2011, 04:59 PM
+1 evil damsels

lots of personality but evil-LOL

IME they'll even dominate some bigger fish and starve them out by bullying them away from food.

redfishblewfish
12/20/2011, 05:01 PM
+1 on pitching the Dam-sel.

I got rid of my little tail biting SOB by using a simple fish trap made from a soda bottle.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp271/psh54/IMG_4231.jpg

Cut the top off a soda bottle. Flip is over and stick it back into the bottle. Use a hole punch to punch a couple holes around the edge. Use twist ties to hold everything together. Now the little secret is to put a hole in the side of the bottle and using a turkey baster, squirting food into the bottle. I actually kept the turkey baster in the bottle and continued to squirt to make it a snow-globe of food swirling around. My Dam-sel soon darted in to eat, and he was caught.

thebkramer
12/20/2011, 05:40 PM
I also agree on giving damsel back to LFS.. they are evil little buggers in small tanks.. now put a damsel in a 300g tank.. he will be a model citizen :lol2:
I also used the bottle method to catch a Domino Damsel I had after he killed my $130 Borbonius Anthias.. took all day.. but it did work.. the Domino (Zeebee.. I do miss him <3) now lives in a 300g and is a DIFFERENT fish all together :lol: go figure!!

Dustin1300
12/20/2011, 05:44 PM
Great fish trap and I've used in past and worked.

MBWannaBee
12/20/2011, 05:52 PM
Ok, thanks for the opinions. Ive decided to give the fish back to the LFS. I hope he'll take it! Any opinions for a replacement fish? An unagressive one preferrably ;)

Reefing Newbie
12/20/2011, 06:23 PM
Damsels really need tanks that are over 50 gallons, 100 being better(this is for smaller ones, not large ones). So pitch it for sure which I see you are. For a replacement fish, look into pygmy wrasses(possums too) and royal grammas. The grammas won't harass anyone, very laid back IMO.

Dustin1300
12/20/2011, 06:32 PM
Get a credit towards another fish:)

00Warpig00
12/20/2011, 08:33 PM
He would be lucky if they gave him $3 credit for a damsel. better than nothing... but kinda laughable really. It does sound like the 30 is just too small. I have 5 yellow tail damsels in my 180 and they have been great so far. they have been in there just over a year.

Nick

cside
12/20/2011, 09:34 PM
The coral beauty may also harass the firefish. I have a 29 standard with just a firefish. my others died of marine velvet, but I had a royal gramma, firefish, and bicolor blenny. they got along quite well and didnt hide either.

nam2212
12/21/2011, 10:21 AM
Damsels really need tanks that are over 50 gallons, 100 being better(this is for smaller ones, not large ones). So pitch it for sure which I see you are. For a replacement fish, look into pygmy wrasses(possums too) and royal grammas. The grammas won't harass anyone, very laid back IMO.

I had to catch and return a royal gramma a few weeks ago because it was super aggressive. I had a pair of clowns and the gramma in a 34G. I added a pink streaked wrasse and the gramma started attacking every fish in the tank.