PDA

View Full Version : Best soft corals to start with in my 360?

Rahmahb
12/20/2011, 05:16 PM
Okay, so I'm still a newbie in all this, so I wanted to get your input on the best and hardiest soft corals to start off with. Our plans are to do a soft coral reef setup, with schools of various tangs, foxface, clownfish, butterfly fish a and banded cat shark. We've got a 360.
This is a short list Ive come up with so far....tell me what you guys think, what I should add/remove.... thanks so much!

Cabbage Leather
Mushrooms
Pagoda cup
Duncans & Xenia
Toadstool Leather
Candy cane

Crazyfingerz
12/20/2011, 10:30 PM
You can add any kind of polyp (colony polyp, button polyp etc), almost impossible to kill them.

StephLionfish
12/20/2011, 10:39 PM
Well, some Butterflies and some Foxfaces will eat corals. I've seen Fox's nip at polyps.

It depends on what you want. If you want something that spreads and easy to care for, the I'd go with green star polyps, xenia, and shrooms.
If you want something that will be manageable in a year, then go with things that have a single stalk, that don't spread. Duncans, Euphyllias, and Acans are some easy to care for LPS. Granted, they want better water quality and more light than softies, but easy to care for, IMO+E.
Toadstool leathers are nice once they get situated. They can be tough to make happy, though.
Candy Canes are LPS, and to me are harder to care for than any softie, and more difficult than the other LPS I named.
'Shrooms are nice, but IME take a while to decide they want to spread.
Zoas and Palythoas are another one that's moderately easy to care for.

Turbo snail
12/22/2011, 09:30 AM
All those corals you listed are relatively easy and good to start out. I personally like leathers, and some of the toadstools can get massive and really fill out the look of a tank very nicely. One word of caution about Mushrooms, don't get any that are called Elephant Ear mushrooms. They look really nice and will grow massive (10+ inches) quickly, but are notorious for devouring fish that swim too close to them. 95% of mushrooms are great beginner corals, but go for the smaller varieties that only get a couple inches across, they'll spread quickly and give you a really nice look to the tank.

joejoe1055
12/22/2011, 09:09 PM
any of the leathers would look nice
mix in a few shrooms button polyps and a couple nice lps to fill out color wise

Rahmahb
12/24/2011, 01:42 AM
thanks for all the advice everyone!
k - so Im driving 2 1/2 hours to buy some coral from a hobbyist- and now im curious as to how good of a deal im really getting...since im new to it all i certainly dont want to get jipped!
what do you guys think? this is what im getting:

Cabbage Leather (3-4")
Mushrooms (4small on a rock)
Duncans (4heads)
Xenia (1 Stalk)
Toadstool leather (3-4")
Purple candy cane (30 heads)
Acan (11-12 heads)
Hammer (1 head)

okay, with all that said? what is a fair (non retail) price to pay for these?