PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new tank, should i get new lights.

OH GOD
12/21/2011, 04:43 PM
The wife gave me the ok for a new tank and equipment, :celeb3: the tank i picked out is a 55 gallon tub, 36x18x20. my issue is i still have my VHO setup but the bulbs are 48 inch. my goal with this tank is a marine planted with just a few low light corals and 2 rose bubble tip anemones.

So here is where i would like your opinion, and thoughts.

Keep the VHO and just buy bulbs to fit the tank ?

Get a T-5 retro kit ?

Ask the wife for even more money and get a LED setup ?

sirreal63
12/21/2011, 05:05 PM
I would do the T5's, a much better option for the long run. T12 bulbs will not be around forever.

OH GOD
12/22/2011, 03:25 PM
I know the T-5 have a wide range on color spectrum but anyone know if the LED's Have the same range.

Plumbcrazy
12/22/2011, 05:16 PM
I also like a single mh with a 14k bulb. Nice color good growth and only one bulb to replace.

OH GOD
12/22/2011, 09:02 PM
I also like a single mh with a 14k bulb. Nice color good growth and only one bulb to replace.

I have a 250 watt MH system with 14K bulbs, i dont like the color, that and it is the old magnetic typ ballast. hummmm's like crazy.

OH GOD
12/23/2011, 06:33 PM
If i go with a t-5 retro kit, what issues could i have if i used my URI A4 ballast ( icecap 660 )

solitude127
12/23/2011, 07:17 PM
You can use that ballast but it will overdrive the bulb and actually change the color slightly. If not properly cooled, it'll shorten the life of the bulbs as well.

Mark Bianco
12/23/2011, 07:30 PM
Beg, Borrow or Steal the money from the wife.

I have an led fixture on one of my tanks, just ordered led's for my second tank, and as soon as I can see my way clear I will be replacing the lights on the other tanks as well.

The biggest benifits are No added heat, and way less electrical usage, and if you get a led setup with dual adjustable controler you can dial in just the look you want. One other thing MH , CF, or T5's require that you change the bulb anywhere from 9 months to a year. Led's are good for 50,000 hours or 5 years and the cost of the good led bulbs are about $3.50 Just tell the wife it will save money!!!

Mark

OH GOD
12/25/2011, 08:42 PM
Beg, Borrow or Steal the money from the wife.

I have an led fixture on one of my tanks, just ordered led's for my second tank, and as soon as I can see my way clear I will be replacing the lights on the other tanks as well.

The biggest benifits are No added heat, and way less electrical usage, and if you get a led setup with dual adjustable controler you can dial in just the look you want. One other thing MH , CF, or T5's require that you change the bulb anywhere from 9 months to a year. Led's are good for 50,000 hours or 5 years and the cost of the good led bulbs are about $3.50 Just tell the wife it will save money!!!

Mark

Well right now with the existing equipment i have, i am going to do a temp install with the VHO's. The beg, steal, and borrow did not work so LED's are on hold. I did allot of thinking about the T-5's but using my vho ballast to drive the T-5 retro kit, and having to run fans to keep the bulbs cool, just not worth the time for me.

Thanks to every one who gave their opinions, but as it stands i am going to keep the VHO and give LED's some more time to develop and the price to come down some.

Reeferwill561
12/25/2011, 11:37 PM
Get a digital metal halide ballast and get a radium 20k bulb. Everybody is jumping on the t5s and also the led bandwagon and selling their MH equipment cheap. Take advantage of deals!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk