PDA

View Full Version : dosing issues

spawn2
12/21/2011, 05:57 PM
Is it possible in a 55 gal setup with this much sps, to reach a point where the corals demand for supplementation of Ca & Alk & Mg can no longer safely be met by dosing? I have reached a point where I cannot elevate current levels or maintain anything. Reason being is that the salinity keeps going up due to the amount of sups. going in. I'm pretty much at my wits end, as I have been struggling with this since late july of this year. All tests are new elos or hanna, & the refrac is calibrated per checking. so the results are good & have been compared. The tank levels are in a bad pattern of weekly swings in salinity & paras. the corals seem to be alright still, however I am very rapidly losing interest & have posted stuff for sale. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thx Sean
Ca 350
alk 8
Mg 1400
k 380
When suggested to drop the dose rate to 1.25 ml per gal per day to see if that helped, ( in case it was precipitating out) the levels fell to 320 & 5.6 in 24 hours, Mg was steady @ 1400.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae199/spawn26/IMG_0344.jpg

spawn2
12/21/2011, 06:01 PM
Ttt

Habu
12/21/2011, 06:26 PM
You can use kalk to replace your evaporated water. That would help.

spawn2
12/21/2011, 06:33 PM
why is the salinity going up with such minimal dosing amounts? there is a fan right on the surface to help with evaporation. & again why can levels not be raised or maintained using 2 part?

bertoni
12/21/2011, 10:25 PM
Hmm, the tank does have a lot of corals, but dosing should be possible, if maybe a bit difficult. If you're having precipitation problems, I'd try using the low pH formula (plain unbaked baking soda) and use a drip, if possible.

The two-parts will raise the SG over time. I'd have to go through the numbers to see how much.

What product or DIY formula is being dosed, and how is the dosing spread through the day?