PDA

View Full Version : Need quiet skimmer! Sump help!

xtremenub
12/22/2011, 09:37 AM
I will be using this sump for my 75 gallon reef tank.

Size:
24" x 13" x 14" Is it big enough? Can I fit live rock anywhere in here?

I have already purchased a Tunze silence return pump.

I am looking for a VERY QUIET protein skimmer and power effeicent! (tank is in bedroom) Will the skimmer fit in my sump? Does a skimmer need a return PUMP too?

Any suggestions for skimmer??

Here is the sump, please help me figure it out
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/spetsnaz908/sump-1.jpg

Dustin1300
12/22/2011, 10:06 AM
You have most of it right.

On 4. I'd guess they used it to put in a filter of some sort. Maybe a filter mat/floss.
On 5 it could have been for various probes but not sure what all the larger holes are for.

What size is the skimmer area so a recommendation can be made with the footprint you have available?

thegrun
12/22/2011, 10:31 AM
It's an unusual set up, I suspect it was at one time the bottom section of a wet/dry sump so it's not designed to act as a standalone sump. Here is my guess:
1. Drain
2. Yes the skimmer could go in the #2 chamber.
4. This would be a good place for cheato to grow or just live rock.
3. It is not set up correctly as a bubble trap; I don't know what its purpose is.
5. Looks like a holder for small reactors and heaters??? But the heaters wouldn't sit in enough water to work properly. I would cut the brackets off.

For quiet skimming, I like the Tunze DOC 9006 or 9011.

I wish I could help you more, if it was my sump I would make major modifications to it so it would function better.

kaipo13
12/22/2011, 11:22 AM
I'm no expert by any means but to me it looks like

5. Holes for filters socks, where your tank drains its water.
3. Bubble trap
4. For live rock
2. Return pump area
1. Return line
Return pump here?. Skimmer area

Otherwise, what does the short baffle next to the egg crate do? It makes no sense unless it is set up the other way around.

Just my 2 cents, could be completely wrong.

JustinFromAL
12/22/2011, 11:39 AM
I think Kaipo's got it right, you're looking at it backwards. Water comes in on the right, goes out on the left. That's the only way the bubble trap would make sense, although it's pretty ineffective without a third baffle.

As for quiet small skimmers, Tunze is the way to go, just measure your space and get the best fit.

xtremenub
12/22/2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the help guys,

The reason I was planning to use this one, is because i received it for free long time ago.

Would it be better if I just purchase a compelely new one? bigger one?

I am custom building my stand, so I will defeintly have room for bigger sump.

I am however not interested in making my own sump.

Is there a good sump, that is premade something like the Aqeuon proflex 2? I need the most quiet setup possible.

JustinFromAL
12/22/2011, 01:48 PM
"Making" a sump isn't much work. Used aquarium from CL + baffles + silicon = awesome sump any size you want. Problem an afternoon job at most.

I've got a similar sized sump as yours on a 90g and I'm going to upgrade it ASAP, I've got the same problem you do, not enough room for a skimmer!

greech
12/22/2011, 02:00 PM
The sump you use won't really dictate the noise level as much as how you setup your drain. Submerging the drain line in your sump should in most cases quiet down the sump but depending on how big your drain is (or how many drains you use) or how much water you intend to turnover through it, may require some tinkering to get the right air/water ratio to keep things quiet. A drain system like the beananimal or herbie should give you the least amount of noise but a durso (and possibly a reverse durso at the output of the drain) can be very effective at reducing noise.

Here is your sump BTW...
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww93/greech/lg_ber3.jpg

And here is the website that image came from...
http://www.lifereef.com/berlin.html

I believe these systems come with equipment installed so it appears yours has been mostly gutted. I don;t think you will end up with much more water volume as a result of using this sump due to the baffle heights and the fact that your skimmer may require more water to sit in (maybe not).

Water definitely comes in on the left and it looks like the holes are meant to hold float switches for an ATO, etc. You can certainly use that but I would use as big of a sump as you can. They are not that difficult to build.

Edit: My SWC cone is incredibly quiet but due to the owner's recent transgressions (there is a thread on this) I don't think I could bring myself to purchase any more of their products.