PDA

View Full Version : will this cycle

razataz5
12/24/2011, 11:24 AM
My ? is if I put 75lb micro rock with dead sand in my 90g and put my 20 lbs of live rock from my 20g will the tank still cycle are need to cycle Are is there enough bioload on the rock i put in to sub stain two clowns

BCreefmaker
12/24/2011, 11:49 AM
The only way to tell for sure it to test. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and low nitrate and your clowns should be fine. But without a test it is impossible to say if it cycled or not. It totally depends on the condition of the new rock, and how you transferred your old rock. Assuming the new rock and sand is completely clean and you had no loss of life on your LR during the transfer, the tank should be good to go. But you know what they say about assumptions right :D

redfishblewfish
12/24/2011, 11:49 AM
Not quite sure what micro rock is…..maybe you mean Marco??

I’m assuming “dead” rock. That being the case, I’d put the rock and sand in the tank and let the rock cure for a month or so….until ammonia gets down to a reasonable level….like zero. Then I’d seed with the live rock.

The reason I wouldn’t put the live rock in right away is that the ammonia spike might kill stuff in the live rock.

razataz5
12/24/2011, 12:13 PM
My bad yes macro rock from macro rock will the dead rock ever get a ammonia spike in the tank bye itself

BCreefmaker
12/24/2011, 12:18 PM
If you have enough established LR, there may be no spike or cycle. I Think dry macro rocks is one of the cleanest on the market, which helps out too. But the only way to know for sure is to test.